G Force derived from G potential

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in understanding the formula for gravitational force derived from potential in general relativity. The use of the nabla operator (∇) is mentioned, which is used to write gradients, divergences, and curls. It is advised to have a basic understanding of vector analysis before studying general relativity.
aditya ver.2.0
Have just started to learn general relativity. But I am encountering a problem.
The formula
Fgrav= -m ∇ φ (xB)
represents the gravitational force derived form potential.
Here, xB is B position, and φ(x) is the gravitational potential produced by A.
But I can't just understand the formula and what is ∇ in here.
Please help...

Physics news on Phys.org
The differential form of the law of gravitational potential is ∇2 Φ=4πGμ. What does it mean along with all its symbols. Comprehensive answer required.

aditya ver.2.0 said:
Have just started to learn general relativity. But I am encountering a problem.
The formula
Fgrav= -m ∇ φ (xB)
represents the gravitational force derived form potential.
Here, xB is B position, and φ(x) is the gravitational potential produced by A.
But I can't just understand the formula and what is ∇ in here.
Please help...

∇ is the nabla operator which may be used to write gradients, divergences and curls. If you have problems with this you should probably study vector and tensor analysis before trying GR.

Likes Vanadium 50 and aditya ver.2.0
Orodruin said:
∇ is the nabla operator which may be used to write gradients, divergences and curls. If you have problems with this you should probably study vector and tensor analysis before trying GR.
May I have a rough knowledge about it, sir?

aditya ver.2.0 said:
May I have a rough knowledge about it, sir?
This is not something to learn through an internet forum. I suggest you study a basic textbook on vector analysis and ask if you have specific questions.

What is your background regarding partial differential equations and vectors?

1. What is G Force derived from G potential?

G Force derived from G potential is a measure of the force exerted on an object due to the Earth's gravitational field. It is calculated using the gravitational constant (G) and the mass and distance between the object and the Earth.

2. How is G Force related to acceleration?

G Force is directly proportional to acceleration. This means that as the G Force increases, the acceleration also increases. This relationship is described by Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that force is equal to mass times acceleration (F=ma).

3. What are the units of G Force?

G Force is typically measured in units of acceleration, such as meters per second squared (m/s²) or gravitational units (g). One g is equal to 9.8 m/s², which is the acceleration due to gravity on Earth's surface.

4. How is G Force experienced by humans?

Humans experience G Force in a variety of situations, such as during takeoff and landing in an airplane, or when riding a roller coaster. The amount of G Force experienced depends on the speed and direction of the object's movement. For example, during a roller coaster loop, the G Force can reach up to 4-5 g's.

5. Can G Force be harmful to humans?

Yes, excessive G Force can be harmful to humans. The human body is able to tolerate up to 5 g's for brief periods of time, but sustained exposure to higher G Force levels can lead to health issues such as loss of consciousness, vision problems, and damage to the organs. Pilots and astronauts undergo special training to learn how to withstand and manage G Force during flight.