George M said:
The police only talked about my survival after a very long investigation.
Doesn't mean anything - the investigation was not focussed on the probability of survival. In NZ police always play up the change of dying because (a) they attend so many fatalities so have a skewed impression of crashes, and (b) to encourage safer driving in general.
My head must have hit the airbag but I did have a cut on my forehead.
It is likely your head hit the airbag - the cut suggests you also hit something hard .. maybe the wheel, which implies the bag did not bring your head to rest, which reduces the longer-duration gee-force.
I actually have gone to many car accidents for my job but I have never been on this side of the situation.
It's a revelation aye?
I did have many aches and pains. I actually had bruises on my body from the seat belts within a very short time.
The bruises would have been
deep too. You'll also have non-specific effects from your internal organs hitting the inside of your body.
20 G's is a lot of force.
But still inside the capabilities of the human body to survive.
BTW: it is unlikely that the cars hit dead-on ... so some of the energy of the collision would have gone into spinning around. I did not account for that, or the possibility that you stomped on the brakes before you hit so the speed right before the collision may have been smaller than 42mph.
With reference to the other replies - we really need the raw data from the recorder to do anything - I did the calculations in terms of your car. It is all very hand-wavey but you were not looking for rigor here. For instance: your head may have ended up stationary against the air-bag+wheel but the car may have still been moving at that time ... so the change in speed would have been less than 42mph. That 20gees is more of an upper bound.
The bottom line is that the crash, from the details available, is one we would expect to be
survivable with injuries much like you describe. We are way off miracle territory here. Maybe the next ten guys who have that sort of crash will have worse injuries and a couple die ... that's probably the sort of thing the police mean.
I'm sure you have attended worse crashes where people have lived and crashes not so bad where people have died.
Scientists have to be hard-headed about these things - however small the chance of survival, given a lot of incidents,
someone will survive some of them. The survivors will always wonder how it came to be that
they lived and not the others. But
somebody has to so ... why
not you?
This sort of investigation can be useful in determining if there
was something special about
your crash ... which can help design better cars or roads or something. There may be nothing special either way ... in which case it was dumb luck and fecal matter materializes.