Head-on collision with a car equal to ones own vehicle

In summary: The best option is to slow down and reduce the impact force for both parties. Therefore, it's better to slam on the brakes rather than speeding up, as it will lessen the impact and reduce the chances of injury for both drivers. In summary, it's better to slow down and reduce the impact force in a head-on collision, as it benefits both parties and reduces the risk of injury.
dfmjr49
i could use some help with a question:

if one realizes that one is about to have a head on collision with a car equal to ones own vehicle, is it better for one to speed up on the theory that the harder i hit him the less it hurts me, or is it better to slam on brakes to lessen the impact? i have always heard, the harder you hit someone else the more it hurts them than me. is this this true and why?
thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
It's better to slow down. Think of it this way. Would you rather hit a brick wall at 5mph or at 50mph?

If either party reduces speed, kinetic energy is reduced and benefits both. You can also try to imagine what would happen if you hit the other car at,say, 1,000 mph...likely your engine would end up in the back seat of your car...and maybe the other car as well...

thanks...but help me here. the brick wall isn't moving. is the same with the car? when i played football i was always told the harder i hit him the less it will hurt me. was that bs from the coach...who by the way, wasn't by any means a physics professor

dfmjr49 said:
thanks...but help me here. the brick wall isn't moving. is the same with the car? when i played football i was always told the harder i hit him the less it will hurt me. was that bs from the coach...who by the way, wasn't by any means a physics professor

The 'Physics' answer is that you should slow down (both of you, ideally).
The football scenario is much more complicated because players are 'actively' colliding - they are probably using their muscles and senses during the collision, which could be changing the situation whilst it is happening. Also, players are not at all like 'point masses'. Their mass is distributed vertically. If you tackle (rugby tackle) hard / fast enough and low down, you may unstick his legs from being fixed to the ground and cause his body to rotate. Then there could, indeed, be less force against your shoulder because you would be transferring less momentum - whilst still bringing him down.
Then there's the psychological thing. Get him scared of you on the first impact and the next ones may be a lot easier. Definitely no Physics involved there.

For football, one reason it would less hurt you is because you were more ready for impact (ie muscles were ready, better body/leg/shoulder/etc position) therefore there is less chance for you to get a sprained ankle to injured shoulder. As for the car: slow down.

Naty1 said:
If either party reduces speed, kinetic energy is reduced and benefits both. You can also try to imagine what would happen if you hit the other car at,say, 1,000 mph...likely your engine would end up in the back seat of your car...and maybe the other car as well...

You reminded me of this...

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

So if you hit the other car harder, it will hit you back just as hard.

1. How does a head-on collision with a car equal to my own vehicle occur?

A head-on collision with a car equal to your own vehicle occurs when two vehicles traveling in opposite directions collide directly with each other, causing significant impact and damage.

2. What are the potential injuries in a head-on collision with a car equal to my own vehicle?

The potential injuries in a head-on collision with a car equal to your own vehicle can range from minor cuts and bruises to more serious injuries such as broken bones, head trauma, and internal injuries. In some cases, these injuries can be life-threatening.

3. How can I prevent a head-on collision with a car equal to my own vehicle?

To prevent a head-on collision with a car equal to your own vehicle, always drive defensively and stay alert on the road. Avoid distractions while driving, obey traffic signals and signs, and maintain a safe following distance from other vehicles. Additionally, never drive under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

4. What should I do if I am involved in a head-on collision with a car equal to my own vehicle?

If you are involved in a head-on collision with a car equal to your own vehicle, the first step is to check for injuries and call for emergency assistance if needed. Then, exchange contact and insurance information with the other driver, and document the scene by taking photos and obtaining witness statements. It is also important to seek medical attention, even if you do not feel injured, as some injuries may not be immediately apparent.

5. How can I seek compensation for damages and injuries from a head-on collision with a car equal to my own vehicle?

If you have been involved in a head-on collision with a car equal to your own vehicle, you may be eligible for compensation for damages and injuries through insurance claims or a personal injury lawsuit. It is important to consult with a legal professional to understand your rights and options for seeking compensation.