Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gaah! Leaky Faucet is Driving Me Insane!

1. Nov 15, 2008 #1

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I have a tub in my bathroom that I have yet to use (I have a separate shower next to it), but it has recenly developed a 30 second drip that I can hear while lying in bed. It's driving me nuts. I've turned off the water and tried to take apart the valve, but can't seem to get it completely apart. And I have no access to the underside. Kohler is no help at all - their faucets don't leak, so why provide information on fixing them?

The stem turns freely when you take off a guard, but I'm not sure if it'll just pull up. I'm tempted to stick a screwdriver up under that hex-nut looking structure and go at it, but of course if I break something, I'm screwed.

My water here is so hard it was off the scale (no pun intended) when I did a test. It corroded my other shower's mixing valve stuck (I scalded a couple of friends who stayed over a few months ago), but I was able to get at that from the front to take it apart and clean it.

Help!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2008 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Turn up your radio :tongue2: .

4. Nov 15, 2008 #3
    My best advice is sledge-hammer repairs... maybe not.

Edit: You could just get in the habit of turning off the water before you go to bed.

5. Nov 15, 2008 #4

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I can't help with the plumbing, but if it's the drip-drip-drip that's driving you crazy, I have a short-term solution.

Try running a string or yarn from the faucet down to the drain. Then the water will run down the thread - at least you won't hear the drip. Pre-wet it so the water will adhere better.

6. Nov 15, 2008 #5

turbo

Gold Member

Get a HEPA air filter for your bedroom and turn it up. No drip-noises, and you'll suck in lest dust, etc while you sleep.

7. Nov 15, 2008 #6

Evo

I'm really good at plumbing, but I'd have to look at it up close. If this is one of those washerless faucets, you may have to just replace it.

8. Nov 15, 2008 #7
    A hammer fixes all problems....................ALL problems. Including noisy neighboors.

9. Nov 15, 2008 #8

turbo

Gold Member

Evo is good at plumbing?????? The best result one might expect is a shower of water, and a mentor that is infected with some obscure water-borne illness that nobody near you has ever gotten.

10. Nov 15, 2008 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That hex-nut looking thing is the part you turn to unscrew the faucet innards. I actually have a nifty little tool that fits over one of those perfectly, since it's hard to get a wrench down over it with the stem in the way. (The tool came with a replacement faucet I bought once upon a time...if I lived closer, I'd let you borrow it, but I think you could buy your own for far less than the cost of gas to drive here to get it. :biggrin:)

Once you get that part off, everything else should start looking like familiar faucet parts underneath, including whatever sorts of o-ring type thingamabobs need replacing to stop the leak.

Until you have time to start playing with the faucet, maybe sticking a towel in the tub under the drip would be quieter than letting it hit the tub surface? I'm not sure, I've never actually tried it. Or else, you could just close the bathroom door at night. Or would that mean you'd walk into the door if you got up in the middle of the night? :uhh:

11. Nov 15, 2008 #10
    Russ needs a man around the house to take care of things.......:devil: :tongue2:

12. Nov 15, 2008 #11

turbo

Gold Member

Are you volunteering, Cy?

13. Nov 15, 2008 #12
    I helped my dad build a deck, and finish an entire basement. Did anyone notice the TWO hex bolts? Seems like they are locking. If you hold one fixed and loosen the bottom one it should come out.

14. Nov 15, 2008 #13

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nah, like most men, he needs a woman to tell him to quit complaining about the drip and fix the faucet already.

15. Nov 15, 2008 #14

russ_watters

There is no way I'd listen to any advice you might have about plumbing!

16. Nov 15, 2008 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Where do you see two hex bolts? The smaller SQUARE thing (not a hex bolt) on top of the hex NUT (aren't you guys the engineers?) is part of the stem that turns the water on and off. Just the big nut needs to be unscrewed to get at everything under it.

17. Nov 15, 2008 #16

russ_watters

I did get a hex driver over it and applied a decent amount of torque to it, but it didn't turn and I'm afraid to apply more for fear of flooding out my house.

It seems with the stop removed, I can turn the valve a few degrees further and the water stops. I don't really want to have a freely spinning knob, but I might have to live with it.

18. Nov 15, 2008 #17

russ_watters

Know any?

19. Nov 15, 2008 #18

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: What's the matter? Afraid you'd flood your house with scalding water and wind up in the ER with third degree burns? :devil: :rofl:

20. Nov 15, 2008 #19

russ_watters

I don't know what Cyrus is, but you're right - the square thing is part of the stem and spins freely. A little steel part fits on it to catch on the stopper tabs to keep the knob from spinning freely.

21. Nov 15, 2008 #20

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:uhh: Turn the water off before you try that! :tongue: It's a project to be started in the morning, so you don't have to be so nervous about breaking something since there's still plenty of time to get to the store to buy a new faucet if it doesn't come apart the way it was intended. You should probably scope out whoever sells replacement parts for that style faucet before starting anyway, just in case you get it apart and find out something has given up and fallen apart so you can't just put it back together.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?