LED/IR Pair for Leaky Faucet Experiment

In summary, the individual is attempting to build a version of the leaky faucet experiment and is looking for a well-built and reasonably priced LED/IR pair that can accurately measure the period of water dripping from a valve. They have previously attempted to use a HeNe laser and separate photo sensor, but the laser was saturating the sensor. They are now looking for recommendations on where to find such a product. One suggestion was to look into IR Remote Control kits as they use modulation to reject ambient light noise. This led the individual to a useful website on hobby robotics.
mbigras
Hello Friends,

I'm building a version of the leaky faucet experiment. Which is to say, I'm going to measure the period of water dripping out of a valve. To measure the event of the droplet falling I want to use an LED/IR pair. My understanding is that these things are basically like super sensitive garage door lasers, the things that are at the entrance and if your foot crosses them the garage stops going down, except for me the garage door laser = the LED/IR pair and the foot crossing = the droplet falling.

I tried to building this experiment a couple years ago with a HeNe laser and a separate photo sensor but the laser was saturating the photo sensor. I'm aware that I could use the same setup and decrease the intensity of the laser but I don't want to do that. What I want is a well built, reasonably priced, LED/IR pair (if that's what it's called) that is intended to be used for something like what I'm doing. I mean, they have to exist right?

Is there anything coming to your mind that will work? If not is there anywhere you can recommend looking? like maybe some science sensor online store or something. Thanks for any help.

max

Physics news on Phys.org
mbigras said:
Hello Friends,

I'm building a version of the leaky faucet experiment. Which is to say, I'm going to measure the period of water dripping out of a valve. To measure the event of the droplet falling I want to use an LED/IR pair. My understanding is that these things are basically like super sensitive garage door lasers, the things that are at the entrance and if your foot crosses them the garage stops going down, except for me the garage door laser = the LED/IR pair and the foot crossing = the droplet falling.

I tried to building this experiment a couple years ago with a HeNe laser and a separate photo sensor but the laser was saturating the photo sensor. I'm aware that I could use the same setup and decrease the intensity of the laser but I don't want to do that. What I want is a well built, reasonably priced, LED/IR pair (if that's what it's called) that is intended to be used for something like what I'm doing. I mean, they have to exist right?

Is there anything coming to your mind that will work? If not is there anywhere you can recommend looking? like maybe some science sensor online store or something. Thanks for any help.

max

Look at kits to build IR Remote Controls (TX and RX modules). They use modulation to help reject ambient light noise.

Are you trying to observe the threshold of chaos?

1. What is the purpose of using an LED/IR pair in a leaky faucet experiment?

The purpose of using an LED/IR pair in a leaky faucet experiment is to detect the presence of water droplets or leaks from the faucet. The LED emits light which is then reflected off the water droplets and detected by the IR sensor, indicating the presence of a leak.

2. How does the LED/IR pair work to detect leaks from a faucet?

The LED emits a beam of light which is directed towards the faucet. When there are no leaks, the light is reflected back to the sensor in a straight line. However, when there are water droplets or leaks, the light is scattered, and some of it is directed towards the IR sensor, triggering it to detect the presence of water.

3. Can the LED/IR pair be used for all types of faucets?

Yes, the LED/IR pair can be used for all types of faucets as long as there is a flat surface for the light to reflect off of. However, the sensitivity and detection capabilities may vary depending on the design and material of the faucet.

4. Are there any safety precautions to be aware of when using the LED/IR pair for a leaky faucet experiment?

Yes, it is important to handle the LED/IR pair with care as they are delicate electronic components. Also, make sure to turn off the water supply and unplug any electrical connections before conducting the experiment to avoid any accidents.

5. Can the LED/IR pair also be used for other types of water leak detection?

Yes, the LED/IR pair can be used for other types of water leak detection, such as in plumbing systems or appliances. However, the setup and sensitivity may need to be adjusted accordingly for optimal detection.