1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Galilean form of the law of transformation of velocities

1. Aug 8, 2013 #1
    May you help me with finding the angle, and what is "line of sight"?(the final answer is 15°)
    Thank you in advance

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2013 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

By "line of sight" they mean the direction in which the police car is moving. (Where they would be looking straight ahead.) So imagine an axis extending forward from the police car.

To find the angle, figure out the velocity of the motorist in the frame of the police car.

4. Aug 8, 2013 #3
    I get -39°...not 15°...

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  5. Aug 8, 2013 #4

Doc Al

Show how you got that.

6. Aug 8, 2013 #5
    α=arctan(-62/76)

7. Aug 8, 2013 #6

Doc Al

Ah, I was wrong about what they meant by "line of sight". Line of sight is the line directed from the police car to the motorist. Find the angle with respect to that line and you'll get the answer given.

8. Aug 8, 2013 #7
    I'm confused, now I got -54° and what does the minus sign mean in that situation, may you give some more details about the solution...

9. Aug 8, 2013 #8

Doc Al

Don't worry about signs. Instead, draw yourself a picture. Show the line of sight (which is based on distances) and then add the direction of the velocity, which you already found. Find the angle between those two.

10. Aug 8, 2013 #9
    Are signs meaningless?

11. Aug 8, 2013 #10

Doc Al

No, but rather than rely on the mechanical use of a formula you would be better off simply drawing the relevant angles. Then you wouldn't have questions about signs.

12. Aug 8, 2013 #11
    I have drawn the angles but how are they related

Attached Files:

• 321.PNG
      321.PNG
      File size:
      3.8 KB
      Views:
  13. Aug 8, 2013 #12

Doc Al

The first diagram is drawn correctly: The hypotenuse represents the line of sight.

The second diagram needs to be redrawn to represent the sum of those velocity vectors. That vector will represent the relative velocity.

14. Aug 8, 2013 #13
    76 need to be reversed ...How do those drawings show me that I need to subtract those angles?

15. Aug 8, 2013 #14

Doc Al

When adding vectors graphically you must have the tail of one start at the head of the other.

You want the angle that the velocity makes with the line of sight. Draw them both on the same diagram and find the angle between them.

16. Aug 8, 2013 #15
    But they have different dimensions...and why to subtract?

Attached Files:

17. Aug 8, 2013 #16

Doc Al

(1) We are just comparing directions; dimensions are irrelevant.
    (2) Your diagram is still not right. You want: tail - head - tail - head. You have: head - tail - tail - head.
    (3) Find the angle each direction vector makes with the horizontal; then you can find the angle they make with each other by subtracting.

18. Aug 8, 2013 #17
    Do I need to rotate the triangle of velocity? The angle in this case -15°, is that right?
    I'm grateful to you for your help!

Attached Files:

• 111.PNG
      111.PNG
      File size:
      2 KB
      Views:
  19. Aug 8, 2013 #18

Doc Al

It's not a question of rotating the triangle, but drawing it correctly. Note that the velocity vector will point towards the police car.

Yes, but don't worry about the minus sign. I'm sure they just want the magnitude.

You are most welcome.

20. Aug 8, 2013 #19
    Sorry for asking again...Do you mean that velocity vector of 76 points toward the police while motorist have a velocity vector towards him of 62?

21. Aug 8, 2013 #20

Doc Al

The velocity vector of the motorist with respect to the Police will point somewhat towards the Police. Not exactly of course--it will make an angle of 15° to the line of sight. In your diagram in post #17 the red arrow, which I presume represents the velocity of the motorist with respect to the police, points in the wrong direction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted