1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Assumption on central forces between two particles

1. Feb 2, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider Newton’s force law for two particles interact through a central force F12(r1',r2',u1,u2), where by Newton’s third law F12 = -F21.

m1(d^2r1/dt^2) = F12(r1,r2,u1,u2)

m2(d^2r2/dt^2) = F21(r1,r2,u1,u2)

A. Show that Newtonian mechanics is form invariant with respect to a Galilean transformation?
    B. What assumptions about the force must be made?

2. Relevant equations
    Newton's third law:
    F12 = -F21

Galilean Transform:
    t'=t
    m'=m
    r'=r-vt

3. The attempt at a solution

I did the A. without a problem. It's the B. that troubles me a bit. I'm sure I'm missing what my prof wants me to find...

I wrote that the forces are equal and have opposite directions. The problem must lie on a single axis since there is only two particles. I'm not sure what other assumption we can make..

Thanks for the help!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2015 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

When you did part a, you had to make some assumptions.
    What were they?

If you did not notice any assumptions, you did not complete part a.
    Try going back over your working in more detail... check each step for its reasoning.
    Though you may just be expected to list the assumptions for Galilean relativity.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted