1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving Newton's third law invariant with Galilean tranfrom

1. Jan 30, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider Newton’s force law for two particles interact through a central force F12(r1',r2',u1,u2), where by Newton’s third law F12 = -F21.

m1(d^2r1/dt^2) = F12(r1,r2,u1,u2)

m2(d^2r2/dt^2) = F21(r1,r2,u1,u2)
    A. Show that Newtonian mechanics is form invariant with respect to a Galilean transformation?

2. Relevant equations
    Newton's third law:
    F12 = -F21

Galilean Transform:
    t'=t
    m'=m
    r'=r-vt

3. The attempt at a solution

I understand the concept of invariance. I understand Galilean relativity quite well. I just have no clue where to start the proof. I haven't done much proofs in my past physics and math courses.

I tried writing the two F=m*a equations with the primed coordinates but after that I'm lost. here is what I wrote:

m1(d^2(r1-v*t)/dt^2) = (F12)'((r1-v*t),(r2-v*t),(u1-v),(u2-v)

m2(d^2(r2-v*t)/dt^2) = -(F21)'((r1-v*t),(r2-v*t),(u1-v),(u2-v)

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2015 #2
    Your left hand side has a second order differential equation of a sum. You can use the sum rule and work that out

4. Jan 30, 2015 #3
    Thanks for the quick reply! Doing that brings me to:

m1(d^2(r1)/dt^2) - m1(d^2(v*t)/dt^2) =

m1*a1 - 0 = (F12)'((r1-v*t),(r2-v*t),(u1-v),(u2-v)

And therefore I can say that F12(r1,r2,u1,u2) = (F12)'((r1-v*t),(r2-v*t),(u1-v),(u2-v)

Is that right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted