Galvanized steel cantilever size for 5 ft extension with 17,000 lb load

  • Thread starter Thread starter chase t
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
chase t
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
TL;DR
Right size and type of Steel for cantilevers
I'm trying to decide what size and type of galvanized steel I need for 2 cantilever extensions. The cantilever is 5 ft. The space between the two cantilever arms is a 17 ft Gap the center 7 ft of the 17 ft Gap we'll need to Bear approximately 17,000 lb spread evenly from the front of the cantilever to the back of the cantilever over 5 ft. I will put support beams across these cantilever arms to support the load evenly
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

What happens if this system fails? What is being held up by it? What is underneath it?
 
It would be catastrophic. A 3.5' deep 5'x7' pool. Nothing underneath it.
 
That doesn't sound like something we should be helping you with. What do your site engineer and your insurance agent say about the project?
 
What will the cantilevers be attached to?
I would question whether the existing building structure could carry that additional supported load.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman
A 17' span is pretty big too.

This sounds to me like something that's illegal to do without a licensed structural engineer. So I'm locking this, per our rules.
 
  • Like
  • Agree
Likes   Reactions: Bystander, Lnewqban and berkeman