Evaluating A and B's 2-Year Bank Investment

• Thread starter Ikastun
  • Start date
In summary: Since I do not know how to draw the tree diagram in the present format, I can specify the pay-offs differently.First yearA can take, so B can take (75,75) or can keep (100, 50).A keeps, so B can take (50, 100).Second yearIf B keeps it, then A can take (150, 150) or keep (200, 100). If A takes it, then B can take (100, 200) or keep (150, 150).Regarding the questions:a) the game reminds me the prisoner's dilemma. If they collaborate, though inadvertently, and wait till the second year, they
Ikastun

Homework Statement

A and B put an amount of money in a bank for a period of two years. If both players take the money during the first year, each one gets 75$. If A (B) takes it y B (A) keeps it, A (B) gets 100$ and B (A) 50$. If none of them takes it, they move to the second year. Then, if both players take the money, each one gets 150$, which is the same amount of money that they get if they keep it. If A (B) takes it y B (A) keeps it, A (B) gets 200$ and B (A) 100$. Players act independently from one another.

Questions: a) pure strategy equilibria, b) probability of both players taking the money in the first year.

Homework Equations

Expected value for the second question.

The Attempt at a Solution

Since I do not know how to draw the tree diagram in the present format, I can specify the pay-offs differently.

First year

A takes, so B can take (75,75) or can keep (100, 50).
A keeps, so B can take (50, 100).

Second year

If B keeps
  • then A can take, so B can take (150, 150) or keep (200, 100)
  • then A can keep, so B can take (100, 200) or keep (150, 150).

Regarding the questions:

a) the game reminds me the prisoner's dilemma. If they collaborate, though inadvertently, and wait till the second year, they can earn 150$ instead of 75$ or at least 100$. But I am not sure whether their collaboration is a logical expectation. Does A take it in his first move because he knows that B will take it if he keeps it (50, 100)?.

b) The pay-offs.
T, T = 75, 75
T, K = 100, 50
K, T = 50, 100
K, K = 150, 150 --> is this correct?

Be p and q the probabilities of taking the money for A and B:
EV=75p+100(1-p)
EV=50p+150(1-p)
p=50/75=0.66
Given that they are symmetrical q=50/75
So p(T, T)=(50/75)*(50/75)= 0,4356, so they would keep the money.

If this probability is right, which depends on the (K, K) pay-off, would elucidate a).

Physics news on Phys.org
The pay-offs.
T, T = 75, 75
T, K = 100, 50
K, T = 50, 100
K, K = 150, 150 --> is this correct?

For your payoffs, you are listing only two values of take or keep, presumably one for each player. But each player has two choices: whether to take or keep the first year, and whether to take or keep the second year.

Solve for the second year first.

1. What is the purpose of evaluating A and B's 2-Year Bank Investment?

The purpose of evaluating A and B's 2-Year Bank Investment is to assess the performance and potential risks of the investment in order to make informed decisions about its potential return and viability.

2. What factors should be considered when evaluating A and B's 2-Year Bank Investment?

Factors that should be considered when evaluating A and B's 2-Year Bank Investment include the interest rate, maturity date, fees, potential return, and the financial stability of the bank.

3. How can the risk of A and B's 2-Year Bank Investment be assessed?

The risk of A and B's 2-Year Bank Investment can be assessed by analyzing the credit rating of the bank, the current economic climate, and the potential impact of external factors such as inflation or market fluctuations.

4. What is the expected return for A and B's 2-Year Bank Investment?

The expected return for A and B's 2-Year Bank Investment will depend on the interest rate offered by the bank and the amount of money invested. It is important to carefully consider the potential return and compare it to other investment options.

5. How can I make a well-informed decision about A and B's 2-Year Bank Investment?

To make a well-informed decision about A and B's 2-Year Bank Investment, it is important to thoroughly research and understand the terms and conditions of the investment, carefully consider the potential risks and returns, and consult with a financial advisor if necessary.