1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Game theory

1. Jan 6, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A and B put an amount of money in a bank for a period of two years. If both players take the money during the first year, each one gets 75$. If A (B) takes it y B (A) keeps it, A (B) gets 100$ and B (A) 50$. If none of them takes it, they move to the second year. Then, if both players take the money, each one gets 150$, which is the same amount of money that they get if they keep it. If A (B) takes it y B (A) keeps it, A (B) gets 200$ and B (A) 100$. Players act independently from one another.

Questions: a) pure strategy equilibria, b) probability of both players taking the money in the first year.

2. Relevant equations

Expected value for the second question.

3. The attempt at a solution

Since I do not know how to draw the tree diagram in the present format, I can specify the pay-offs differently.

First year

A takes, so B can take (75,75) or can keep (100, 50).
    A keeps, so B can take (50, 100).

Second year

If B keeps
    • then A can take, so B can take (150, 150) or keep (200, 100)
    • then A can keep, so B can take (100, 200) or keep (150, 150).

Regarding the questions:

a) the game reminds me the prisoner's dilemma. If they collaborate, though inadvertently, and wait till the second year, they can earn 150$ instead of 75$ or at least 100$. But I am not sure whether their collaboration is a logical expectation. Does A take it in his first move because he knows that B will take it if he keeps it (50, 100)?.

b) The pay-offs.
    T, T = 75, 75
    T, K = 100, 50
    K, T = 50, 100
    K, K = 150, 150 --> is this correct?

Be p and q the probabilities of taking the money for A and B:
    EV=75p+100(1-p)
    EV=50p+150(1-p)
    p=50/75=0.66
    Given that they are symmetrical q=50/75
    So p(T, T)=(50/75)*(50/75)= 0,4356, so they would keep the money.

If this probability is right, which depends on the (K, K) pay-off, would elucidate a).

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2014 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For your payoffs, you are listing only two values of take or keep, presumably one for each player. But each player has two choices: whether to take or keep the first year, and whether to take or keep the second year.

4. Jan 6, 2014 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Solve for the second year first.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted