Gary Starkweather who Invented Laser Writer dies

In summary, Garry Starkweather was the mastermind behind the development of the laser writer at Xerox. Despite facing opposition from management, he eventually brought his idea to fruition at PARC. As a child, he had a passion for tinkering. His journey to creating the laser writer is highlighted in his New York Times obituary. This invention, also known as the laser printer, was a fundamental invention that revolutionized the industry. Starkweather saw the potential in the technology and compared it to seeing an angel in a block of marble. The laser printer was a modification of Xerox's existing copying technology, using a computer-directed laser to create an electrostatic charge on a rotating drum. This innovation was a game-changer, making
BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Garry Starkweather who was developing the idea for the laser writer at Xerox. Due to management opposition, he had to move to PARC to bring it to fruition.
As a kid he was quite the tinkerer.
A nice summary of his life and journey to laser writer development is in this NY Times obit.

Likes Klystron
Physics news on Phys.org
What a fundamental invention! I call it "Laser Printer" instead of Laser Writer, but it's the same cool idea.

From the link:
“What you have to do is not just look at the marble,” he said in a talk at the University of South Florida in 2017. “You have to see the angel in the marble.”

I had intended to write a bit more about, but got rushed.

One thing I always thought was cool was that it is a modification of Xerox's already existing and very successful copying technology.
My understanding (which could be wrong (WCBW)) is the Toner adheres to a rotating drum based on an electrostatic charge put in the drum by the copier's 2D imaging system, drum rotates and toner is transferred to paper sheet, then heated to melt toner.
The laser printer/writer uses a computer directed laser to put the charge on the rotating drum.
The rest (other differences) is electronics.

When it comes to making things easily available and useful, I would put this up there with screw drivers in cordless drills and cell phones.

1. Who was Gary Starkweather?

Gary Starkweather was an American engineer and inventor who is best known for inventing the laser printer.

2. When did Gary Starkweather invent the laser printer?

Gary Starkweather invented the laser printer in the late 1960s while working at Xerox Corporation.

3. How did the laser printer revolutionize printing?

The laser printer revolutionized printing by using a laser beam to create high-quality, precise images and text on paper. This allowed for faster and more efficient printing compared to traditional methods.

4. What other contributions did Gary Starkweather make to the field of printing?

Aside from inventing the laser printer, Gary Starkweather also played a key role in the development of the first computer-controlled printer and the first color printer.

5. When did Gary Starkweather pass away and what was his impact on the world?

Gary Starkweather passed away on December 26, 2019 at the age of 81. His invention of the laser printer revolutionized the printing industry and paved the way for modern printing technology. He will always be remembered as a pioneer in the field of printing.