Gauge invariance and covariant derivative

In summary, the covariant derivative in scalar QED is invariant under simultaneous phase rotation of the field and gauge transformation of the vector potential. However, the gauge transformation does not necessarily lead to the phase rotation of the field. The gauge choice is analogous to choosing a coordinate system and all gauge dependent quantities should transform when changing gauge.
spaghetti3451
Consider the covariant derivative ##D_{\mu}=\partial_{\mu}+ieA_{\mu}## of scalar QED.

I understand that ##D_{\mu}\phi## is invariant under the simultaneous phase rotation ##\phi \rightarrow e^{i\Lambda}\phi## of the field ##\phi## and the gauge transformation ##A_{\mu}\rightarrow A_{\mu}+\frac{1}{e}(\partial_{\mu}\Lambda)## of the vector potential ##A_{\mu}##.I was wondering if the phase rotation and the gauge transformation are related in any way? Does the gauge transformation necessarily lead to the phase rotation of the field?

Physics news on Phys.org
The correct transformation for the gauge field is ## A_\mu \to A_\mu - \frac 1 e (\partial_\mu \Lambda) ##.

## D_\mu \phi ## is not invariant under ## \phi \to e^{i\Lambda}\phi ## and ## A_\mu \to A_\mu - \frac 1 e (\partial_\mu \Lambda) ##. It transforms like ## \phi ## itself, i.e. ## D_\mu \phi \to e^{i\Lambda} D_\mu \phi ##. The point is that this will make ## D_\mu \phi D^\mu \phi^* ## invariant.

The gauge you use is a choice you make in a particular problem, like a coordinate system. You can choose any gauge you want, but you can't use one choice for some quantities and another choice for others. So all gauge dependent quantities should transform when you change gauge.

1. What is gauge invariance?

Gauge invariance is a principle in physics that states that the physical laws should be the same regardless of the choice of a mathematical description, or gauge, used to describe the system. This means that the physical laws should not depend on arbitrary choices made in the mathematical description, such as the choice of units or coordinate system.

2. What is the significance of gauge invariance in physics?

Gauge invariance is a fundamental principle in several areas of physics, including electromagnetism and quantum field theory. It helps to ensure the consistency and predictability of physical laws, and also allows for the development of more elegant and unified theories.

3. What is a covariant derivative?

A covariant derivative is a mathematical tool used in differential geometry and tensor calculus to differentiate a vector or tensor field along a curved manifold. It takes into account the curvature of the space in which the field is defined, and allows for the definition of a consistent notion of differentiation on curved spaces.

4. How does gauge invariance relate to the covariant derivative?

Gauge invariance is closely related to the covariant derivative, as the principle of gauge invariance requires that physical equations be written in a covariant form, meaning that they are invariant under coordinate transformations. The covariant derivative is used to ensure that physical equations are written in a covariant form.

5. What are some practical applications of gauge invariance and the covariant derivative?

Gauge invariance and the covariant derivative are essential in many areas of physics, including electromagnetism, quantum field theory, and general relativity. They are used to describe and understand the behavior of particles and fields in curved spacetime, to explain the behavior of fundamental forces, and to develop new theories and models in physics.