Gauge invariant Lagrangian: unique?

In summary, the conversation discusses gauge equivalence in QED and the introduction of gauge fields to maintain invariance of the Lagrangian. The standard way of introducing gauge fields is through "minimal coupling", but non-minimal couplings can also exist. The gauge fields can be interpreted as a connection on a principle G-bundle, with the field strength being the curvature. The kinetic energy term is required for dynamic gauge fields, but not if the theory is in a background gauge field.
electroweak
Hi all! Long story short, my QFT class recently covered gauge equivalence in QED, and this discussion got me thinking about more general gauge theory. I spent last weak reading about nonabelian symmetries (in the context of electroweak theory), and I like to think I now have a grasp on the basics: gauge fields are introduced to maintain invariance of the Lagrangian when the parameters in front of the symmetry generators are allowed to vary over spacetime. (Though please correct me if this is a misunderstanding!) What's confusing me now is how to "derive" a Lagrangian from ground up. It's my (perhaps misled) understanding that L is determined solely by the symmetries we choose to impose (which are motivated by experiment, of course). Here's my line of thought:

It seems that we should start with the free fermion (or similarly, scalar) Lagrangian. It is invariant under global rotations of the fermion field PSI in SU(N) space. But L is not generally invariant under local SU(N) transformations, i.e. if we choose a different phase convention (element of SU(N)) at each spacetime point, L does not transform nicely: there are leftover partials of the transformation parameters. To maintain invariance (that is, to compensate for these extra terms), we introduce gauge fields G. If the G transform in a "very nice way", they cancel the aforementioned extra terms, leaving the Lagrangian fixed. So when we say that a theory "has SU(N) gauge symmetry", we mean that its Lagrangian is unchanged when we (1) transform the fermion fields under SU(N), i.e. left-multiply each fermion n-plet by an element of the n-dimensional representation of SU(N) and (2) transform the gauge fields in this "very nice way". Am I on track so far?

In particular the gauge fields are introduced as terms in a covariant derivative D, which we substitute for the partial derivative(s) in L. Why is this the standard way of introducing the fields? It seems that I could cancel the bad terms in many other ways. Is the answer related to getting D(PSI) to transform as PSI?

Once the fields are included in the Lagrangian, it is possible to derive the particular form of the "very nice" transformation (invariance of L determines the transformation properties of the G). After a bit of math, we get an answer in terms of the structure constants of the symmetry algebra and partials of the PSI transformation parameters. Can I interpret the structure constant term as an infinitesimal rotation in SU(N) space? Is there a natural way to interpret the partial term other than that it is needed to cancel the other bad terms? I guess I'm really wondering whether there is a more natural or direct way of determining how the gauge fields should transform. Are they even transforming "under SU(N)"?

Since, under Lorentz transformations, the covariant derivative should transform like the partial derivative, we require the gauge fields to be vectors.

Possibly related to the above is the question of the kinetic energy term. I see how, written in terms of field tensors (e.g. the F terms in the QED Lagrangian), this term is consistent with all of the relevant symmetries. But why is this term required? Does the reason have anything to do with renormalizability?

TL;DR: I think I see how gauge equivalence works, given a Lagrangian. But are this Lagrangian and its associated method of introducing gauge fields unique?

Thank you for the clarification in advance. This is really cool stuff, and I can't wait to understand!

Physics news on Phys.org
electroweak said:
In particular the gauge fields are introduced as terms in a covariant derivative D, which we substitute for the partial derivative(s) in L. Why is this the standard way of introducing the fields? It seems that I could cancel the bad terms in many other ways. Is the answer related to getting D(PSI) to transform as PSI?

This is called "minimal coupling". In principle, one can write down non-minimal couplings as well, such as

[tex]\bar \psi \psi F^2[/tex]
Of course, these terms might not be renormalizable, but they can still turn up in effective theories.

Once the fields are included in the Lagrangian, it is possible to derive the particular form of the "very nice" transformation (invariance of L determines the transformation properties of the G). After a bit of math, we get an answer in terms of the structure constants of the symmetry algebra and partials of the PSI transformation parameters. Can I interpret the structure constant term as an infinitesimal rotation in SU(N) space? Is there a natural way to interpret the partial term other than that it is needed to cancel the other bad terms? I guess I'm really wondering whether there is a more natural or direct way of determining how the gauge fields should transform. Are they even transforming "under SU(N)"?

The most elegant way is to think of the gauge field as a connection on a principle G-bundle (where G is the gauge group). The field strength F is then the curvature of this connection. The structure constants turn up in a natural way.

Possibly related to the above is the question of the kinetic energy term. I see how, written in terms of field tensors (e.g. the F terms in the QED Lagrangian), this term is consistent with all of the relevant symmetries. But why is this term required? Does the reason have anything to do with renormalizability?

It's required if you want the gauge field to be dynamic. If instead you want to put the theory in a background gauge field that stays fixed, you don't need it.

This all makes sense. Thank you very much for the help.

1. What is a gauge invariant Lagrangian?

A gauge invariant Lagrangian is a mathematical expression used in the field of particle physics to describe the behavior of fundamental particles. It is a function of fields and their derivatives that remains unchanged under certain transformations known as gauge transformations.

2. Why is gauge invariance important?

Gauge invariance is important because it allows for the conservation of physical quantities, such as electric charge and energy, in a theory of particle interactions. It also ensures that physical laws are independent of the choice of coordinate system, making them more fundamental and universal.

3. How is the gauge invariant Lagrangian unique?

The gauge invariant Lagrangian is unique because it is the only Lagrangian that remains unchanged under gauge transformations. This means that it is the only Lagrangian that accurately describes the behavior of fundamental particles in a way that is consistent with the principles of gauge symmetry.

4. What are some examples of gauge invariant Lagrangians?

One example of a gauge invariant Lagrangian is the Standard Model Lagrangian, which describes the behavior of fundamental particles and their interactions. Another example is the Yang-Mills Lagrangian, which is used in the theory of quantum chromodynamics to describe the strong nuclear force.

5. How is gauge invariance related to the principles of symmetry?

Gauge invariance is related to the principles of symmetry because it is a type of symmetry that allows for the conservation of physical quantities and ensures that physical laws are independent of the choice of coordinate system. This makes it a fundamental principle in the study of particle physics and helps to explain the behavior of matter and forces at the most fundamental level.