Gauge pressure at the base & top of the dam?

In summary, the problem involves calculating gauge pressure at different points in a reservoir behind a dam. The first part is solved using the formula P2=P1+\rhogh, while the second part is solved using P2-P1=\rhog and the distance of 19 m. The final answers are 548.8 kPa and 186.2 kPa, respectively.
DrMcDreamy

Homework Statement

This is a two part problem:

a) A reservoir behind a dam is 56 m deep. What is the gauge pressure at the base of the dam? The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s 2 and atmospheric pressure is 10100 Pa . Answer in units of kPa.

b) What is the gauge pressure 19 m from the top of the dam? Answer in units of kPa.

Homework Equations

I don't know what formula I am suppose to use. I know it has to do with gauge pressure, so a guess:

P2=P1 + [tex]\rho[/tex]gh

OR

P1+[tex]\rho[/tex]gh1+[tex]\rho[/tex][tex]\frac{v1^2}{2}[/tex]=P2+[tex]\rho[/tex]gh2+[tex]\rho[/tex][tex]\frac{v2^2}{2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

But I don't know the exact pressure, I just know since its minimal, the top and bottom velocity (I believe) gets cancelled.

So are either of those right? If not, what do I use? TIA

Physics news on Phys.org
^Are you assuming the reservoir is filled with water, so [tex]\rho[/tex] would be 1000 kg/m3?

So would it be:

a) P2=P1+[tex]\rho[/tex]gh

P2-P1=[tex]\rho[/tex]gh

P2-P1=(1000 kg/m3)(9.80 kg m /s2)(56 m)

P2-P1=548,800 Pa

which would equal 548.8 kPa

b) P2=P1+[tex]\rho[/tex]gh

P2-P1=[tex]\rho[/tex]g

P2-P1=(1000 kg/m3)(9.80 kg m /s2)(37 m)

P2-P1= 362,600 Pa

which would equal 362.6 kPa

So is the work and answers right? If not, what did I do wrong? TIA

Looks ok :smile:

Thank you tiny-tim! :smile:

It seems the second part was wrong, because I figured it had wanted me to 56-19=37, so it would've been from the bottoms up, but it was supposed to be 19 so:

b) P2=P1+[tex]\rho[/tex]gh

P2-P1=[tex]\rho[/tex]g

P2-P1=(1000 kg/m3)(9.80 kg m /s2)(19 m)

P2-P1= 186,200 Pa

which would equal 186.2 kPa which is the correct answer to the 2nd part!

What is gauge pressure at the base and top of the dam?

Gauge pressure refers to the pressure measured relative to atmospheric pressure at a specific location. In the case of a dam, gauge pressure at the base and top refers to the pressure exerted by the water on these two points.

How is the gauge pressure at the base and top of the dam calculated?

The gauge pressure at the base and top of the dam is calculated by taking the difference between the total pressure (which includes atmospheric pressure) and the hydrostatic pressure (which is the pressure exerted by the water due to its weight).

What factors can affect the gauge pressure at the base and top of the dam?

The gauge pressure at the base and top of the dam can be affected by various factors such as the height and weight of the water, the shape and size of the dam, and the surrounding atmospheric pressure.

Why is it important to monitor the gauge pressure at the base and top of the dam?

Monitoring the gauge pressure at the base and top of the dam is crucial in ensuring its structural integrity. Changes in pressure can indicate potential problems or risks, such as leaks or structural weaknesses, which can lead to the failure of the dam.

How is the gauge pressure at the base and top of the dam managed and controlled?

The gauge pressure at the base and top of the dam is managed and controlled by various systems and measures, such as drainage systems, spillways, and release gates, which help regulate the water level and pressure within the dam.