1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gauge Pressure problem (algebra based)

1. Jul 27, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What is the gauge pressure at a depth of 100 m. in water?

2. Relevant equations
    Pgauge = rho*g*h (or the pressure above atmospheric pressure)

3. The attempt at a solution

I missed a day of class (and on a summer class, that's a LOT of material). I am working problems that are assigned by the teacher over the internet. I'm sure these change of problems are things I can figure out, the problem I am having is understanding the equation for this problem. I can't seem to find where it talks about it in my book, I'm thinking because the teacher used either alternative symbols (because of limited keyboard characters), or he just likes to be different from the book.

I'm really just looking for help understanding the equation, what are the meanings of the different variables? I take it g*h is gravity*height (depth I presume), I'm not sure what "rho" would be though.

Edit: My theory is that "rho" is density of the liquid, not sure why he would use rho instead of something that makes sense like d.

To solve:

1000 kg/m^3 * 9.8 m/s^2 * 100 m = 980 kPa

Last edited: Jul 27, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2009 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

'rho' (the greek letter [tex]\rho[/tex]) is the commonly used symbol to represent density (mass per unit volume). The letter 'd' is often used for 'distance'; after a while, you run out of letters to use.....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook