Gaussian Curvature of (x^2+y^2+1)^-2

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter foxjwill
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Curvature Gaussian
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
foxjwill
Messages
350
Reaction score
0
1. Homework Statement
Is the gaussian curvature at a point on the surface
[tex] \frac{1}{(x^2+y^2+1)^2}?[/tex]

2. Homework Equations
shape operator: [tex] S(\textbf{x})=-D_\textbf{x}\hat{\textbf{n}}=\frac{\partial (n_x, n_y)}{\partial (x,y)}[/tex]

Gaussian Curvature = [tex] |S(\textbf{x})|[/tex]

[tex] \hat{\textbf{n}}=\frac{\nabla g}{\|\nabla g\|}[/tex]

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I basically plugged stuff into the above equations. I'm not sure if they're all correct.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
foxjwill said:
1. Homework Statement
Is the gaussian curvature at a point on the surface
[tex] \frac{1}{(x^2+y^2+1)^2}?[/tex]
I have no idea what you mean by this that is an equation, not a surface. It's graph, in the xy-plane is a curve, not a surface. What surface do you mean?
[tex]z= \frac{1}{(x^2+y^2+1)^2}?[/tex]?

2. Homework Equations
shape operator: [tex] S(\textbf{x})=-D_\textbf{x}\hat{\textbf{n}}=\frac{\partial (n_x, n_y)}{\partial (x,y)}[/tex]

Gaussian Curvature = [tex] |S(\textbf{x})|[/tex]

[tex] \hat{\textbf{n}}=\frac{\nabla g}{\|\nabla g\|}[/tex]

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I basically plugged stuff into the above equations. I'm not sure if they're all correct.