1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gauss's Law and charged conductors

1. Oct 4, 2011 #1
    A conductor carries a net charge +Q. There is a hollow cavity inside the conductor that contains a point charge -Q. In electrostatic equilibrium,what is the charge on the outer surface of the conductor?

A. -2Q
    B. -Q
    C. 0
    D. Q
    E. 2Q

I know that the answer is 0, however, I cannot understand why. i would think that the inner surface of the conductor is +Q to offset the -Q point charge inside, which would make the outer surface +Q in order to account for the net +Q charge. However, that is not the case.

Can some one please offer me some help understanding this problem?Thanks so much

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2011 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If the charge on the inner surface of the conductor is +Q, and the net charge on the conductor is also +Q, how much charge is left over to distribute on the outer surface?

4. Oct 4, 2011 #3
    Oh ok, I see. It's 0. For some reason i thought that the +Q and the -Q would cancel out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook