Gauss's law: Why does q=0 if E is uniform?

In summary, if there is a region of space with a uniform positive volume charge density, the electric field cannot be uniform in that region, as a uniform electric field implies zero charge density. Additionally, if there is a "bubble" within this region where the volume charge density is zero, the electric field cannot be uniform within that bubble, as uniform fields give no flux and enclosed charges give flux.
Lola Luck

Homework Statement

[/B]
a) In a certain region of space, the volume charge density p has a uniform positive value. Can E be uniform in this region? Explain.
b) Suppose that in this region of uniform positive p there is a "bubble" within which p=0. Can E be uniform within this bubble? Explain.

Homework Equations

E = electric field

Gauss's law: Flux= ∫ E dA = Q/ε0

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that if the volume charge density p were uniform, E would also be uniform because the charge enclosed by a Gaussian surface would be the same everywhere. However my book says that in a region where "the electric field E is uniform... the volume charge density p must be 0."

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know Gauss law in the differential form? That is, with the divergence theorem?

If yes: This says that ##\nabla \cdot E = \rho / \epsilon_o## in which case, a uniform E has no divergence, and therefore zero density.

If no: Uniform fields give no flux. You know as a fact that enclosed charges give flux. If you have flux, then the field isn't uniform.

If you wish for something intuitive tell me and I'll try to make something up.

Lola Luck said:

Homework Statement

[/B]
a) In a certain region of space, the volume charge density p has a uniform positive value. Can E be uniform in this region? Explain.
b) Suppose that in this region of uniform positive p there is a "bubble" within which p=0. Can E be uniform within this bubble? Explain.

Homework Equations

E = electric field

Gauss's law: Flux= ∫ E dA = Q/ε0

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that if the volume charge density p were uniform, E would also be uniform because the charge enclosed by a Gaussian surface would be the same everywhere. However my book says that in a region where "the electric field E is uniform... the volume charge density p must be 0."
For part (a):
Ask yourself a related question. Suppose that in some region of space the electric field, E, is uniform . What is ##\displaystyle \oint \vec{E}\cdot d\vec{A}## in that region?

davidbenari said:
If yes: This says that ##\nabla \cdot E = \rho / \epsilon_o## in which case, a uniform E has no divergence, and therefore zero density.

If no: Uniform fields give no flux. You know as a fact that enclosed charges give flux. If you have flux, then the field isn't uniform.

If you wish for something intuitive tell me and I'll try to make something up.

Sorry for the late response.
I guess I didn't realize that if there's flux the field isn't uniform, but it makes sense. Thank you.

SammyS said:
For part (a):
Ask yourself a related question. Suppose that in some region of space the electric field, E, is uniform . What is ##\displaystyle \oint \vec{E}\cdot d\vec{A}## in that region?

If E is constant, that integral would equal the product (E)(area). So there's a positive flux, which implies that that region isn't uniform.

Lola Luck said:

If E is constant, that integral would equal the product (E)(area). So there's a positive flux, which implies that that region isn't uniform.
Yes, but that's a closed surface, so if ## \vec{E} ## is constant (in both magnitude and direction), then the flux inward is equal to the flux outward. That's a net flux of zero out of the surface.

SammyS said:
Yes, but that's a closed surface, so if ## \vec{E} ## is constant (in both magnitude and direction), then the flux inward is equal to the flux outward. That's a net flux of zero out of the surface.

I see, so when ## \vec{E} ## is constant there can't be any enclosed charge.

Lola Luck said:
I see, so when ## \vec{E} ## is constant there can't be any enclosed charge.
That's correct.

1. Why is q=0 if E is uniform?

According to Gauss's law, the electric flux through a closed surface is proportional to the enclosed charge. If the electric field, E, is uniform, then the electric flux will also be uniform. This means that the electric flux through any closed surface will be the same, regardless of the shape or size of the surface. In order for this to be true, the enclosed charge, q, must be equal to zero.

2. How does Gauss's law relate to the concept of electric charge?

Gauss's law is a fundamental law of electromagnetism that relates the electric flux through a closed surface to the enclosed electric charge. This means that the electric charge is the source of the electric field, and the flux through a closed surface is a measure of the strength of that field. In the case of a uniform electric field, the enclosed charge must be zero in order to have a uniform electric flux.

3. Can Gauss's law be applied to non-uniform electric fields?

Yes, Gauss's law can be applied to non-uniform electric fields as well. In this case, the electric field may be varying in magnitude and direction at different points, but the total electric flux through a closed surface will still be equal to the enclosed charge divided by the permittivity of free space, ε0. However, the calculations for non-uniform electric fields can be more complex and may require the use of calculus.

4. How is Gauss's law used in practical applications?

Gauss's law is used in many practical applications, such as calculating the electric field of charged particles, designing capacitors and other electronic devices, and analyzing the behavior of electric fields in different materials. It is also used in the study of electromagnetism and in the development of technologies such as electric motors and generators.

5. Is Gauss's law always true?

Yes, Gauss's law is a fundamental law of electromagnetism and is always true. It has been extensively tested and verified through experiments and is a crucial tool in understanding and analyzing electric fields and their behavior.