Gcd(a, b, c) = gcd(gcd(a,b), c)

  • Thread starter Thread starter ashwinb
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 8K views
ashwinb
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Help please!
I basically have to prove that gcd(a, b, c) = gcd(gcd(a,b), c).
So I know that if I just need to prove that the sets {a, b, c} and {gcd(a,b), c} have the same sets of divisors.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi ashwinb! welcome to pf! :wink:
ashwinb said:
gcd(a, b, c) = gcd(gcd(a,b), c)

you usually do this sort of thing by proving separately:
i] gcd(a, b, c) ≤ gcd(gcd(a,b), c)
ii] gcd(a, b, c) ≥ gcd(gcd(a,b), c)

how far have you got? :smile:​
 
A straightforward way of proving this is to use the prime factorizations of a, b, and c, that is, write a=∏ipαi, b=∏ipβi, and c=∏ipγi. Then gcd(a,b,c)=∏ipmin(αi,βi,γi). Likewise, gcd(gcd(a,b),c)=∏ipmin(min(αi,βi),γi). These are equal since min(αi,βi,γi)=min(min(αi,βi),γi).