Gear ratio requirement (RPM --> km/h)

• Thread starter D.B0004
  • Start date

Homework Statement

A vehicle having wheels with a diameter of 58cm, is powered by motors that have a maximum speed of 6024 rpm. Each motor is coupled to the wheel using a gear mechanism as shown in figure 2-14. Calculate the required gear ratio if the vehicle's maximum speed is 190.2 km/hr.

Note: Answer is a unitless value, correct upto two decimals.

Homework Equations

No clue. C = 2 * PI * R?

The Attempt at a Solution

I converted 6024 rpm to radians per second hoping I could do the same with hm/hr, but I do not know the radius of the tire? See photo attache for diagram. Thanks for help.

Attachments

Answers and Replies

Quantum Defect
Homework Helper
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A vehicle having wheels with a diameter of 58cm, is powered by motors that have a maximum speed of 6024 rpm. Each motor is coupled to the wheel using a gear mechanism as shown in figure 2-14. Calculate the required gear ratio if the vehicle's maximum speed is 190.2 km/hr.

Note: Answer is a unitless value, correct upto two decimals.

Homework Equations

No clue. C = 2 * PI * R?

The Attempt at a Solution

I converted 6024 rpm to radians per second hoping I could do the same with hm/hr, but I do not know the radius of the tire? See photo attache for diagram. Thanks for help.
... but you know the diameter of the wheel. How is diameter related to radius?...

CWatters
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I converted 6024 rpm to radians per second...
I would start "at the other end of the problem". eg Work out the rpm of the wheel at max velocity.