General GRE Tomorrow: Skip Analytical Writing sections?

In summary, it is recommended to not skip the essay portion of the exam in order to preserve stamina and maximum mental capacity for the quantitative section. Skipping the essays may not be acceptable to graduate schools and could call into question basic reading and writing abilities. As someone who has majored in physics, the quantitative section should not be difficult and many questions are based on basic algebra and reading charts. Skipping the essays may also suggest a lack of mental capacity for graduate school. Overall, it is advised to complete all sections of the exam to demonstrate proficiency in all areas and to not underestimate the importance of the writing section.
Lagraaaange
What's your take on preserving stamina/maximum mental capacity for quant and skipping the essays? I hear physics grad programs don't care at all, some don't even take the scores. Thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have a legitimate source that says that this is okay? Have you talked to graduate schools about this and hear them say they recommend it? If not, don't do it.

If you don't have the mental capacity to spend 60 minutes writing an essay AND be able to answer trivial math questions, you are not cut out for graduate school.

Likes Vanadium 50
They don't care much unless you get a score that calls into question your basic reading/writing abilities. What you are suggesting is just plain stupid. Write the essays, it's not that hard. I didn't even know the format of them when I went into the test, but having taken standardized tests in high school, I was fine.

Also, as someone who has majored in physics, it shouldn't be hard at all to get a good quantitative score since you should know most of the material cold. Sure there are some things you haven't used since high school but those are very easy to relearn. A large portion of the test is ridiculously easy. I'm talking about basic algebra and reading charts.

Likes Dishsoap
Dishsoap said:
If you don't have the mental capacity to spend 60 minutes writing an essay AND be able to answer trivial math questions, you are not cut out for graduate school.

This.

Beautiful answer, so let me quote it yet again:

Dishsoap said:

Seriously, what will you do in grad school if you have to do something which you find boring, and which requires a good deal of mental capacity? Skip it?

I took the exam 5 days ago. Do the writing section. It's not hard.

1. What is the purpose of the analytical writing sections on the General GRE?

The analytical writing sections on the General GRE are designed to assess your ability to think critically and express your ideas clearly in written form. These sections are meant to measure your writing skills, as well as your ability to analyze and evaluate arguments.

2. Will skipping the analytical writing sections affect my overall GRE score?

Yes, skipping the analytical writing sections will result in a lower overall GRE score. The analytical writing sections are scored separately from the rest of the exam and are factored into your final score. It is important to complete all sections of the exam to achieve your highest possible score.

3. Can I choose which analytical writing sections to skip?

No, the analytical writing sections are not optional and you must complete both the "Analyze an Issue" and "Analyze an Argument" tasks. However, if you choose to skip these sections, they will be marked as incomplete and will not be factored into your final score.

4. Is it better to guess on the analytical writing sections or leave them blank?

Since the analytical writing sections are not multiple choice, there is no option to guess. However, if you are unable to complete the tasks or feel that your writing skills are not strong, it may be better to leave them blank rather than submit a subpar response.

5. Can I retake the GRE if I am not satisfied with my score on the analytical writing sections?

Yes, you can retake the GRE if you are not satisfied with your score on the analytical writing sections. However, keep in mind that many graduate programs consider your highest score, so it is important to prepare and perform your best on all sections of the exam.