General intuition and tips for solving vector problems in mechanics?

In summary, the conversation discusses strategies for solving problems involving trigonometry and vectors, specifically in relation to finding the moment of force. The conversation also mentions the use of the formula Mo = r x F = F*r*sin(a) and the importance of finding the shortest distance between the point of interest and the force's line of action. The conversation also suggests using trigonometry formulas to find the missing angles and sides in a triangle.
Inertigratus

Homework Statement

I'm just looking for ideas, like how to proceed with various problems and how to counter them.
Almost all problems I have encountered so far haven't been very much like the examples, but instead kind of vague and dependant on trigonometry and vectors.

Right now I'm stuck trying to solve problems about Moment of Force.

The thing is that I don't have a PhD in trigonometry so the questions are kind of tricky for me. They even have the answer (just the answer) below the question, just so they can say that "Well, the answer is right in front of you!".

So when you have problems in which you don't have any numbers to go on, maybe an angle and a side or two. For example if you have a force vector between A and B, and you have the length from O to A and from O to B as well as the angle between those two lengths.
Together the two lengths and the vector AB form a triangle (not a right triangle) and you're supposed to find the moment about point O "as a function" of the angle.

Homework Equations

Mo = r x F = F*r*sin(a)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that if the arm isn't perpendicular to the force then you have to find the shortest distance between the point about which I'm trying to find the "torque" and that is given by the length of the arm times sine of the angle between the arm and the force's line of action.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Inertigratus! :smile:
Inertigratus said:
I know that if the arm isn't perpendicular to the force then you have to find the shortest distance between the point about which I'm trying to find the "torque" and that is given by the length of the arm times sine of the angle between the arm and the force's line of action.

That's right! :smile:

So you know the lengths a and b (and maybe c?), and you also know the angle between them, and you have to find the sine of one of the other angles.

Using trig (there's also a Cartesian coordinate method, using the cross product ), you can find it by using the sine formula for triangles (sinA/a = sinC/c); if you don't know the third side of the triangle (c), you'll need to use the cosine formula also, to find that. :wink:

1. What is general intuition in mechanics?

General intuition in mechanics refers to the overall understanding and familiarity with the basic concepts and principles of mechanics. This includes concepts such as force, motion, energy, and momentum. Having a good general intuition can help in problem-solving and understanding of more complex mechanics problems.

2. How can I improve my intuition for solving vector problems in mechanics?

To improve your intuition for solving vector problems in mechanics, it is important to have a strong understanding of vector operations such as addition, subtraction, and multiplication. It is also helpful to practice solving various types of vector problems and to familiarize yourself with common vector diagrams and representations.

3. What are some tips for solving vector problems in mechanics?

Some tips for solving vector problems in mechanics include: breaking down the problem into smaller, simpler parts, drawing accurate and clear diagrams, using the correct equations and formulas, and checking your calculations for accuracy. It is also important to pay attention to units and directions when working with vectors.

4. How can I use my intuition to double-check my solutions for vector problems?

Your intuition can be a helpful tool in double-checking your solutions for vector problems. If your solution does not seem reasonable or does not match your initial intuition, it may be worth rechecking your calculations or approaching the problem from a different angle. Additionally, you can use your intuition to make predictions about the solution before actually solving the problem and then compare your predicted solution to your actual solution.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving vector problems in mechanics?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving vector problems in mechanics include: mixing up the direction and magnitude of vectors, using incorrect units or not paying attention to units at all, using the wrong equations or formulas, and not considering all forces or vectors acting on an object. It is also important to be mindful of any assumptions made in the problem and to double-check your calculations for accuracy.