Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

General procedure for finding stiffness in vibration problems

1. May 19, 2012 #1
    Hi, I have forgotten quite a bit of my vibration studies, so I have a fairly basic question. Essentially, when you want to find the natural frequency of a single dof system, you use ω=√k/m. However, does anyone know a general procedure (not problem-specific) for finding "k" that is applicable to most SDOF problems. Examples would be something along the lines of a a rigid massless bar, hinged at one end, with a few springs attached and a mass at one end, or a rigid L-shaped bar hinged somewhere and gravity acting, or a water column in a U-shaped test tube (height vibrating with gravity)... I think you get the idea. Basically, I am looking for a series of steps that you would go through in all these situations in order to find the stiffness. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2012 #2

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Stiffnesss = Force / displacement.

Work out the force on the system when it is moved a small distance from its equilibrium position.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook