1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

General Quantization of Motion in Circular Orbits

1. Feb 13, 2014 #1
    For this question, I have to obtain a general quantization of motion in circular orbits by combining the equations (Where U(r) is potential energy):
    (mv2)/r= |(dU(r))/dr|

With the angular momentum quantization of: mvr= nℏ

Then use this to calculate the spectrum for circular motion in a potential of U = F0r.

After combining these equations, along with E = Ke + Pe (for kinetic and potential energies), I obtained this equation:
    En= 3/2*(n4/34/3 F02/3+F02/3 n2/32/3)/m1/3

The next step confuses me. To obtain a spectrum, I would have to use the relation ∆E=hc/λ; however this requires a difference of energies for ΔE. Would this mean setting up an equation for En+1 – En, using the equation I found for En?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2014 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello Witz and welcome to PF. There is a pretty strict rule here that you make use of the template. In this case even I can see the usefulness: you have to obtain a general quantization. That's what you have done, so you are finished.

Why contnue? What is triggering the spectrum adventure ?
    (You have an idea, why not follow up on it?)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted