Quantization of Earth's angular momentum

In summary, the quantum number of Earth in its motion around the Sun would be approximately 2.523 x 10^74. The energy released in a transition to the next lowest level would be -G^2M^2m^3/2n^2ħ^2. The energy release would most likely be undetectable and the radius of the orbit would not noticeably change. To calculate the energy, the mass of the Sun as well as the Earth would need to be known.
Kavorka

Homework Statement

If the angular momentum of Earth in its motion around the Sun were quantized like a hydrogen electron, what would Earth's quantum number be? How much energy would be released in a transition to the next lowest level? Would that energy release be detectable? What would be the radius of that orbit?

Homework Equations

L = mvr = nħ
F = GMm/r2 = mv2/r
En = -E0/n2

The Attempt at a Solution

I found Earth's quantum number by solving mvr = nħ for n, with m = 5.972 x 1024 kg, r = 149.7 x 109 m and v = 29.78 x 103 m/s.

n = 2.523 x 1074

The second part is what gets me.
In order to express the energy of a energy level in terms of a planet, I used
F = GMm/r2 = mv2/r
and E = KE + PEg = mv2/2 - GMm/r
to get:

E = -GMm/2r

I then plugged in v = (GM/r)1/2 to r = nħ/mv getting r = n2ħ2/m2GM

And then plugged this into E getting:

E = -G2M2m3/2n2ħ2

The energy of a transition would equal: En+1 - En = -E0/(n+1)2 + E0/n2

Which I could solve with a super huge/super small online calculator. I already assume that the energy will be super small and the orbit won't noticeably change. My issue is...what do I plug in for m? Or should I do it a completely different way? Please help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Oh duh, I went through all that work and didn't realize I need the mass of the sun as well as the Earth.

Related to Quantization of Earth's angular momentum

1. What is quantization of Earth's angular momentum?

Quantization of Earth's angular momentum refers to the phenomenon where the angular momentum of the Earth is quantized, meaning it can only take on certain discrete values.

2. Why is quantization of Earth's angular momentum important?

Quantization of Earth's angular momentum is important because it helps us understand the rotational behavior of the Earth and how it affects various aspects of our planet, such as the length of our days.

3. How is Earth's angular momentum quantized?

Earth's angular momentum is quantized due to the conservation of angular momentum principle. This means that the Earth's angular momentum must remain constant, and it can only change in discrete amounts.

4. What factors affect the quantization of Earth's angular momentum?

The quantization of Earth's angular momentum is affected by the mass, shape, and distribution of mass within the Earth. Other external factors, such as the gravitational pull of other celestial bodies, can also play a role.

5. How does quantization of Earth's angular momentum impact our daily lives?

Quantization of Earth's angular momentum has a direct impact on the length of our days, which can affect our daily routines and activities. It also plays a role in the stability of our planet's rotation and its orbit around the sun.