1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantization of Earth's angular momentum

1. Apr 7, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If the angular momentum of Earth in its motion around the Sun were quantized like a hydrogen electron, what would Earth's quantum number be? How much energy would be released in a transition to the next lowest level? Would that energy release be detectable? What would be the radius of that orbit?

2. Relevant equations
    L = mvr = nħ
    F = GMm/r2 = mv2/r
    En = -E0/n2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I found Earth's quantum number by solving mvr = nħ for n, with m = 5.972 x 1024 kg, r = 149.7 x 109 m and v = 29.78 x 103 m/s.

n = 2.523 x 1074

The second part is what gets me.
    In order to express the energy of a energy level in terms of a planet, I used
    F = GMm/r2 = mv2/r
    and E = KE + PEg = mv2/2 - GMm/r
    to get:

E = -GMm/2r

I then plugged in v = (GM/r)1/2 to r = nħ/mv getting r = n2ħ2/m2GM

And then plugged this into E getting:

E = -G2M2m3/2n2ħ2

The energy of a transition would equal: En+1 - En = -E0/(n+1)2 + E0/n2

Which I could solve with a super huge/super small online calculator. I already assume that the energy will be super small and the orbit won't noticeably change. My issue is...what do I plug in for m? Or should I do it a completely different way? Please help!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2015 #2
    Oh duh, I went through all that work and didn't realize I need the mass of the sun as well as the Earth.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted