1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

General question about atomic structure

1. May 10, 2012 #1
    the product of velocity of an electron and the principal quantum number is independent of which variable ?

options given : a) velocity b) principal quantum number c) speed of revolution d ) energy of electron

I wrote c, is it correct ?

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2012 #2
    Well, by process of elimination, a) and b) are incorrect because they are clearly variables in the product of electron velocity and principal quantum number. d) is incorrect because the energy of an electron generally increases with the principal quantum number, so changes in electron energy may be indicative of a change in the principal quantum number. So that leaves c). I don't know if this is 100% correct, but this is how I approached it.

4. May 15, 2012 #3
    well, under the Bohr model , it's B. But I'm not sure if that holds true for other models.

5. May 15, 2012 #4
    I'm pretty sure it is B

6. May 16, 2012 #5
    can you explain how to calculate velocity in a model other than Bohr's ? Say I want to calculate the velocity of an electron in a non-hydrogen like atom - let's say , 4s electron of Calcium. How do I go about it ?

7. May 16, 2012 #6
    Which model are you currently studying in your classes?

8. May 16, 2012 #7
    Bohr + full orbital model w/ pauli exclusion principle and all that, dunno what it's called...

9. May 16, 2012 #8
    Since you are studying Bohr model, you should be using this formula for velocity:-
    [tex]v=2.18 * 10^8*\frac{z}{n} m/s[/tex]
    (Correct me if i am wrong because i am not sure about the constant value.)
    where z is atomic number and n is the principal quantum number.

Now simply do what the question has asked.

10. May 17, 2012 #9
    10^6 lol. But yeah, you're right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook