General Question About Spring/Mass System

In summary, when solving a spring/mass system problem, if the values are given in feet and pounds, they should be converted to mks units such as Newtons and meters. This is because the formulae used for mks systems are different from those used for imperial units. However, if using the kx=mg equation, the resulting mass will be in units of slugs. This is a unit of mass that is commonly used in the US, but not widely known outside of it. The use of slugs reflects the stubbornness of the US to fully adopt the metric system. Ultimately, the choice of units depends on the teacher's preference.
Meadman23
In a spring/mass system problem, if you are given your values in units of feet and pounds, are you supposed to convert them to units of Newtons and meters??

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are using formulae which have been designed for the mks system, then yes, you must use mks units.

In my case, I'm not really sure what I should use. For my problem, when I use the kx=mg equation and solve for my mass, I end up getting an answer in units of slugs.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/mechanics/slug.html

Looking at the above link, it tells me that a slug is a unit of mass, so I'll have to try to go with it...

Meadman23 said:
...I end up getting an answer in units of slugs.

Haha! I've never heard of slugs before! And I'm in the US. Is that sad? When will we stop being so stubborn and just use metric units? And rename football to handball?

As for your problem, it really depends on what your teacher wants. Though I'm guessing that's kilograms and not slugs.

It depends on the specific context of the problem. If the problem is asking for a solution in terms of force and displacement, then it would be appropriate to convert the given values to units of Newtons and meters. However, if the problem is only concerned with the relationship between the given values (such as finding the spring constant), then it may not be necessary to convert the units. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem before making any conversions.

What is a spring/mass system?

A spring/mass system is a physical system consisting of a mass attached to a spring. The mass can move horizontally or vertically in response to the force applied by the spring.

What are the factors that affect the behavior of a spring/mass system?

The behavior of a spring/mass system is affected by several factors such as the stiffness of the spring, the mass of the object attached to the spring, and the initial displacement of the mass from its equilibrium position.

How does the stiffness of the spring affect the behavior of a spring/mass system?

The stiffness of the spring determines how easily the spring can be stretched or compressed. A stiffer spring will result in a greater force being applied to the mass, causing it to oscillate more rapidly.

What is the equilibrium position in a spring/mass system?

The equilibrium position is the position where the spring is neither stretched nor compressed, and the mass is at rest. It is the starting point for any oscillation in a spring/mass system.

What are some real-life applications of spring/mass systems?

Spring/mass systems have many practical applications, such as in car suspensions, door closers, and shock absorbers. They are also used in scientific instruments, such as seismographs and mass spectrometers, to measure the motion of objects.