1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

General Question About Spring/Mass System

1. Oct 10, 2011 #1
    In a spring/mass system problem, if you are given your values in units of feet and pounds, are you supposed to convert them to units of newtons and meters??

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2011 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

If you are using formulae which have been designed for the mks system, then yes, you must use mks units.

4. Oct 11, 2011 #3
    In my case, I'm not really sure what I should use. For my problem, when I use the kx=mg equation and solve for my mass, I end up getting an answer in units of slugs.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/mechanics/slug.html

Looking at the above link, it tells me that a slug is a unit of mass, so I'll have to try to go with it....

5. Oct 11, 2011 #4
    Haha! I've never heard of slugs before! And I'm in the US. Is that sad? When will we stop being so stubborn and just use metric units? And rename football to handball?

As for your problem, it really depends on what your teacher wants. Though I'm guessing that's kilograms and not slugs.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook