1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

General Relativity asymmetry identity

1. Jan 9, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have ##R^{u}_{o b u } F^{o}_a - R^{u}_{oau}F^{o}_{b}##

and I want to show that this equal to ##2R_{o[aF^{o}_b]}##

where ## [ ] ## denotes antisymmetrization , and ##F_{uv} ## is a anitymstric tensor

2. Relevant equations

Since ##F_{uv} ##is antisymetric the antisymetrization ##2R_{o[aF^{o}_b}]## reduces to ## 3(R^{u}_{o b u } F^{o}_a - R^{u}_{oau}F^{o}_{b} + R_{oo}F^a_b)##

3. The attempt at a solution

Contracting to get the Ricci tensor and using that ##F_{uv} ## is antisymetric

##R^{u}_{o b u } F^{o}_a - R^{u}_{oau}F^{o}_{b}=R_{o b } F^{o}_a + R_{oa}F^{o}_{b}##
    ##=R{o b } F^{a}_o + R_{oa}F^{o}_{b}##

I can see that there needs to be a ##R_{oo}F^a_b ## term added somewhere, which I cant see where this is going to come from unless this is zero ? which I cant see that it is, and even then Id get a factor of ##3## rather than the ##2## needed.

Many thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2017 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Go to this link and then scroll up into the previous section about 10 lines.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ricci_calculus#Differentiation

It says,
    As with symmetrization, indices are not antisymmetrized when they are not on the same level, for example;
    $$ A_{[\alpha }B^{\beta }{}_{\gamma ]}={\dfrac {1}{2!}}\left(A_{\alpha }B^{\beta }{}_{\gamma }-A_{\gamma }B^{\beta }{}_{\alpha }\right)$$
    I don't know if you are meant to adopt this convention.

4. Jan 10, 2017 #3
    ahh right thank you,
    and you can surely get this from the antisymmetrization of indices on the same level by raising an index?

5. Jan 10, 2017 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't think so unless I'm overlooking something.

Suppose we have a tensor ##C_{\alpha}{} ^{\mu}{} _{\beta}##. Then we can antisymmetrize over ##\alpha## and ##\beta## to produce another tensor ##C_{[\alpha}{} ^{\mu}{} _{\beta]}##.

But it would not generally be true that ##C_{[\alpha}{} ^{\mu}{} _{\beta]} = g^{\mu \tau} C_{[\alpha \tau \beta]}##.

Instead, you would have to write ##C_{[\alpha}{} ^{\mu}{} _{\beta]} = g^{\mu \tau} C_{[\alpha |\tau |\beta]}## where we use another convention that indices located between vertical bars are to be ignored in the antisymmetrization.

That's how I see it, anyway.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted