"General Relativity" by Wald -- question

In summary, the conversation discusses the desire to read General Relativity by Wald, and the question of whether more math needs to be learned beforehand. It is recommended to go directly to studying Wald, as it teaches advanced differential geometry within the context of GR. Other recommended books for an introduction to GR include Carroll and Zee, while Landau/Lifshitz vol. 2 is praised for its clear explanation using familiar notation.
Felix Quintana
I desire to read General relativity by Wald. I am a student who is self teaching, and I know tensor calculus by Pavel grinfield's introduction to tensor analysis and calculus of moving objects. The book states things from advanced calculus. Do I have more math to learn before hand?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I like the analogy that a straight line (or geodesic :oldbiggrin:) is the shortest path between 2 points. Don't take a detour if you don't have to.

So just try going directly to what you want: i.e., studying Wald. That book (as with many other GR texts) teaches a reasonable amount of the more advanced differential geometry, etc. This is good, since it happens within the GR learning context.

If you get stuck anywhere in Wald, there's plenty of people here on PF who can help you.

Likes vanhees71, PeroK, martinbn and 1 other person
Thanks, I am not far off in the book, and I recognize tensor calculus just shown to me in a different notation, and more complicated way i.e Kronecker delta. It's intimidating.

It's called index-free notation. To be honest, I wouldn't recommend Wald for an introduction.

Oh, well what book would you recommend as an introduction? If you don't mind

I used Carroll, which is excellent. Zee's intro is also great and fun to read.

I love Landau/Lifshitz vol. 2. It's using the Ricci calculus (i.e., all the index gymnastics) and just provides what's really needed to concentrate on the physics of GR.

Likes Felix Quintana
This book is amazing...Landau/Lifshitz vol 2 explains everything so clearly using the notation I'm familiar with

1. What is General Relativity?

General Relativity is a theory of gravity proposed by Albert Einstein in 1915. It states that gravity is a result of the curvature of space and time caused by the presence of massive objects.

2. How is General Relativity different from Newton's theory of gravity?

While Newton's theory of gravity states that gravity is a force between two objects, General Relativity describes gravity as the curvature of space and time. It also accounts for the effects of acceleration and predicts the bending of light by massive objects.

3. What evidence supports General Relativity?

There are several pieces of evidence that support General Relativity, including the precise prediction of the bending of light by the sun, the existence of black holes, and the accurate calculation of the precession of Mercury's orbit.

4. How does General Relativity explain the concept of time dilation?

According to General Relativity, time is relative and can be affected by the presence of massive objects. This means that time will appear to pass slower for an object in a strong gravitational field compared to an object in a weaker gravitational field.

5. Can General Relativity be tested?

Yes, General Relativity has been extensively tested and confirmed through various experiments and observations. However, scientists continue to test and refine the theory to better understand the nature of gravity and the universe.