General Relativity Experiment Question

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment involving a spacecraft on Earth's surface and in deep space, and the use of a spring balance to measure weight. The three diagrams depict different scenarios of the spacecraft's motion - at rest on Earth's surface, moving away from Earth with acceleration, and moving with constant velocity in deep space. The questions ask the reader to identify and explain the corresponding motion of the spacecraft in each scenario. The conversation also provides hints and examples to help the reader understand the concept of weight and acceleration.
metalmagik
Hello, I have here a question which seems very important, I have a test in 2 days and just need some help on understanding this experiment which these questions are based off of.

It starts off with this:

A spacecraft is initially at rest on the surface of the Earth. It then accelerates away from Earth into a deep space where it then moves with constant velocity. There is a spring balance supporting a mass from the ceiling.

Then it shows these three pictures:

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/7591/physicsexperimentqt2.png [Broken]

And three questions ask:

Identify and explain, in each case, the motion of the spacecraft that could give rise to the reading shown.

1. At rest on the Earth's surface
2. Moving away from Earth with acceleration.
3. Moving with constant velocity in deep space.

I just need some kind of starting point as to how to read the 3 diagrams...I don't understand how to answer these questions at all cause I am not sure what it is asking me to do. Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
A spring balance measures weight. Weight is a proportional to the acceleration an object experiences. think about the acceleration experienced by the mass in the rocket in each of the three situations.

Im sorry I still don't quite understand this, if anyone can elaborate I would much appreciate this...

Well as per forum rules we can't give you the answers so if you tell us what you think we can tell you where you're going wrong.

But for example think about the acceleration the mass feels when the rocket is at rest on the Earth's surface. What position/s on the spring balance would you think that corresponded to and why.

think of elevators. if you stand in an elevators moving upward/downward and you get a balance to measure your weight, what would you get? lower/higher/equal value? or you can experiment it yourself, hold a mass on a string with your hand, when your hands accelerate downward, does the mass feel lighter? what about upward?

1. How did the General Relativity Experiment Question come about?

The General Relativity Experiment Question originated from Albert Einstein's theory of General Relativity, which he developed in the early 20th century. He proposed that gravity is not a force, but rather a curvature of space and time caused by massive objects.

2. What is the purpose of the General Relativity Experiment Question?

The purpose of the General Relativity Experiment Question is to test the predictions of Einstein's theory of General Relativity and see if they hold up in real-world scenarios. This can help us better understand the nature of gravity and the structure of the universe.

3. What are some common methods used in General Relativity experiments?

Some common methods used in General Relativity experiments include observing the motion of objects in strong gravitational fields, measuring the bending of light by massive objects, and studying the behavior of objects in orbit around massive bodies.

4. What are some recent advancements in General Relativity experiments?

Recent advancements in General Relativity experiments include the detection of gravitational waves, which provide direct evidence for the existence of gravitational waves as predicted by Einstein's theory. Other advancements include using pulsars to test the effects of gravity on time and new techniques for measuring the mass of black holes.

5. What are the potential implications of the General Relativity Experiment Question?

The General Relativity Experiment Question has the potential to lead to a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws of the universe, including the nature of gravity and the structure of space and time. It may also have practical applications, such as improving our ability to make precise measurements and navigate through space.