1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

General relativity, geodesic question

1. Jun 25, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

question attached

geodesicgrii.png

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attempt :

Check if ##V^{\alpha}\nabla_{\alpha}V^u=0##

Since Minkowski space, connection tensors/christoffel symbols are zero so this reduces to:

##V^{\alpha}\partial_{\alpha}V^u=0##

where ##\partial_{\alpha}=\frac{\partial}{\partial x^{\alpha}}##

Where ##V^{\alpha}=\frac{\partial x^{\alpha}}{\Lambda}## is the tangent vector

##\frac{\partial x^{\alpha}}{\Lambda} \partial_{\alpha}V^u = \frac{\partial x^{0}}{\Lambda} \partial_{0}V^u + \frac{\partial x^{1}}{\Lambda} \partial_{1}V^u +\frac{\partial x^{2}}{\Lambda} \partial_{2}V^u +\frac{\partial x^{3}}{\Lambda} \partial_{3}V^u
    = 4 \frac{\partial V^u}{\Lambda} ## (using the chain rule)

which is 4 separate equations for ## u=0,1,2,3,4 ##, obviously these are not zero.

Have I done something wrong and should I have expected a summation ?

Or would I argue that these can not simultaneously all be zero for the same ##\Lambda## since cosh and sinh are independent?

Many thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2017 #2
    Apologies typo edit:

Where ##V^{\alpha}=\frac{\partial x^{\alpha}}{ \partial \Lambda}## is the tangent vector

##\frac{\partial x^{\alpha}}{\partial \Lambda} \partial_{\alpha}V^u = \frac{\partial x^{0}}{\partial\Lambda} \partial_{0}V^u + \frac{\partial x^{1}}{\partial\Lambda} \partial_{1}V^u +\frac{\partial x^{2}}{\partial\Lambda} \partial_{2}V^u +\frac{\partial x^{3}}{\partial\Lambda} \partial_{3}V^u
    = 4 \frac{\partial V^u}{\partial\Lambda} ## (using the chain rule)

4. Jun 28, 2017 #3

strangerep

Science Advisor

Which part of the question are you trying to answer in your attempt in post #1? (If you're trying to answer part (c), that depends on the answer to part (a) which you haven't shown.)

Also, which textbook are you working from?

[And btw, I notice in several of your HW posts you make no attempt to write down any "relevant equations". That's not helping.]

5. Jun 29, 2017 #4
    I have not listed relevant equations since they are either included in the question or attempt.

I am attempting part c)

For part a) you simply differentiate w.r.t ##\Lambda## and then compute ##g_{uv}V^vV^u## and check it's sign. ## < 0 ## here being time-like from the chosen metric convention.

Therefore I would identify a failure to make a connection between these two parts of the question as a mistake in the attempt, rather than purposely not showing to attempt question a, because I thought this wasn't as issue to me. Pretty much then, my approach to the question is wrong, which is all needed to be said.

6. Jun 29, 2017 #5

strangerep

Science Advisor

Are you sure? What are your components ##V^\mu## explicitly?

For part (c), can't you simply evaluate ##dV^\mu/d\lambda## (since the connection is 0 in Minkowski spacetime) ?

And you didn't tell me which textbook the question is from. Or is it from private lecture notes?

7. Jul 1, 2017 #6
    My second post was exactly this? To evaluate ##dV^\mu/d\lambda=0##. My question was this is 4 seperate equations? So to check whether it's a geodesic or not you check whether all four equations are consistent in the ##\lambda## which solves them?

For part a)
    ##V^u=( sinh \Lambda, \frac{1}{\sqrt 3} coshh \Lambda, \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}cosh \Lambda, \frac{1}{\sqrt{6}}cosh \Lambda) ##

So the check for part c) returns the components of the original vector as four seperate equations. My question was concerning solving them anyway. THIS: So to check whether it's a geodesic or not you check whether all four equations are consistent in the ##\lambda## which solves them?

8. Jul 1, 2017 #7

strangerep

Science Advisor

I think you're overcomplicating this. To be a geodesic you'd need ##dV^\mu/d\lambda=0## for all ##\lambda##.

9. Jul 2, 2017 #8
    but ##\mu## runs over ##\mu=0,1,2,3## so need to solve, there are four equations to check, what am i over-complicated, don't we need to solve the following system of equations? To which the answer will be inconsistency due to the non-linear dependence of sinh and cosh?

## \frac{dV^{0}}{d\Lambda}=0##
    ## \frac{dV^{1}}{d\Lambda}=0##
    ## \frac{dV^{2}}{d\Lambda}=0##
    ## \frac{dV^{3}}{d\Lambda}=0##

10. Jul 3, 2017 #9

strangerep

Science Advisor

I get the feeling you're not reading my reply hints carefully enough. I'll try one more time:
    Note the "for all ##\lambda##" part.

11. Jul 4, 2017 #10
    oh okay.
    but there are four equations?
    so this would have only happened if ## V^{u} ## components were constants indepedent of ##\Lambda##?

12. Jul 4, 2017 #11

strangerep

Science Advisor

So? It's a single vector (which has 4 components).

If by "this", you mean "the curve would be a geodesic only if..." then yes -- because you're working with Minkowski spacetime in this question.

13. Jul 5, 2017 #12
    As in this is the expected result since we are in flat space-time?
    I don't think I'm picking up what you are saying properly, could you explain a tad more?
    greatly appreciated, thanks

14. Jul 5, 2017 #13

strangerep

Science Advisor

In Minkowski spacetime, with metric ##(-1,+1,+1,+1)##, the Christoffel connection coefficients are all 0. So the equation for a geodesic curve (in terms of an arbitrary parameter ##\lambda##) is just $$0 ~=~ \frac{d^2 x^\mu(\lambda)}{d\lambda^2} ~\equiv~ \frac{dV^\mu(\lambda)}{d\lambda} ~.$$ So if this equation is not satisfied (for any component), then the curve is not a geodesic.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted