1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

General solution of a system of equations and partial fractions

1. Dec 29, 2012 #1
    I've been trying to get out this question for a while now:

ai) Show that (x,y,z) = (1,1,1) is a solution to the following system of equations:

x + y + z = 3
    2x + 2y + 2z = 6
    3x + 3y +3z = 9

aii) Hence find the general solution of the system

b) Express 2x^2 + 3/(x^2 + 1)^2 in partial fractions

My attempt:

Well ai) was simple and i got that part out with barely any effort.

In aii), i dont even know how to start :( All i know is that the answer is supposed to be:

(x,y,x) = λ(1,0,-1) + μ(0,1,-1) + (1,1,1,)

Sorry i cant offer any attempt....i just really dont know where to start....any help at all will be appreciated here.

With b) i used the matrix method.....but that wasnt the approach they were looking for. I was supposed to use the concept of repeated factors:

2x^2 + 3/(x^2 + 1)^2 = Ax + B/x^2 + 1 + CX + D/(x^2+1)^2
    (multiply throughout by (x^2 + 1)^2)
    2x^2 +3 = (Ax + B)(x^2 + 1) + Cx + D
    Let x=0
    3 = B + D
    D = 3 - B
    Let x= 1
    5 = (A + B)(2) + C + D
    5 = 2A + 2B + C + D

Substituting D = 3 - B

5 = 2A + 2B + C + 3 - B
    2 = 2A + B + C

Well this is where im stuck.....any help at all would be a life saver. Thank you in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2012 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Strange question. Clearly all three equations are equivalent, so we can ignore the 2nd and 3rd.
    Since x+y+z is linear, having found a solution of x+y+z=3, we can add to it any solution of x+y+z=0 and the result will be a solution of the original equation. So the question is essentially asking you to find all solutions of x+y+z=0.
    Seems you mean (2x2 + 3)/(x2 + 1)2. Please use parentheses properly and subscript/superscript. Makes expressions much more readable.
    The usual procedure from this point is to separate out each power of x into a different equation. That will give you four equations here.

4. Dec 29, 2012 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In (b), do you mean
    [tex] 2x^2 + \frac{3}{(x^2+1)^2} [/tex] (which is what you wrote), or do you mean
    [tex] \frac{2x^2 + 3}{(x^2 + 1)^2)}? [/tex]
    If you meant the former, then what you wrote is perfectly OK, but if you mean the latter, you must use parentheses, like this: (2x^2 + 3)/(x^2+1)^2. Using ASCII and hence things like x^2 is OK, but you must write clearly. Also, where you write
    Ax + B/x^2 + 1 + CX + D/(x^2+1)^2, you are writing
    [tex] A x + \frac{B}{x^2} + 1 + Cx + \frac{D}{(x^2+1)^2}.[/tex]
    I hope that is not what you really mean, but again, without parentheses, your expressions are impossible to parse (and, frankly, it takes too much of my time, so I won't even try).

5. Dec 29, 2012 #4
    i meant:
    (Ax + B)/(x^2 + 1) + (Cx + D)/((x^2 + 1)^2)

Sry about that....

6. Dec 29, 2012 #5

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Expanding the product and collecting terms in the equation

2x2 +3 = (Ax + B)(x2 + 1) + Cx + D

gives

[itex]\displaystyle 2x^2+3=Ax^3+Bx^2+(A+C)x+(B+D)\ .[/itex]

Now equate coefficients of each power of x.

7. Dec 29, 2012 #6
    Thanks alot guys!!! All help greatly appreciated. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook