General Solution of Dirac Delta Potential Well

In summary, the solutions of time-independent Dirac delta potential well contain both bound and scattering states, with corresponding energies of $$E_b=-\frac{mu^2}{2\hbar^2}$$ and $$E_k=\frac{\hbar^2k^2}{2m}$$. To construct a normalizable time-dependent general solution, the integral $$\phi(k)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\int\limits_{-\infty}^\infty\Psi(x,0)e^{-ikx}\mathrm dx$$ is used, resulting in the general solution $$\Psi(x,t)=c_b\frac{\sqrt{mu}}{\hbar}e^{-\frac{mu
rbwang1225
We know that the solutions of time-independent Dirac delta potential well contain bound and scattering states:
$$\psi_b(x)=\frac{\sqrt{mu}}{\hbar}e^{-\frac{mu|x|}{\hbar^2}}\text{ with energy }E_b=-\frac{mu^2}{2\hbar^2}$$
and
$$
\psi_k(x)=
\begin{cases}
A(e^{ikx}+\frac{i\beta}{1-i\beta}e^{-ikx}) \quad &x \leq0\\
\frac{A}{1-i\beta}\quad &x\geq0
\end{cases}
\text{ with energy }E_k=\frac{\hbar^2k^2}{2m}.
$$
My question is how to construct a normalizable time-dependent general solution like in free particle case
$$
\Psi(x,t)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\int\limits_{-\infty}^\infty\phi(k) e^{ikx-\frac{\hbar k^2t}{mt}}\mathrm d k,
$$
where
$$\phi(k)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\int\limits_{-\infty}^\infty\Psi(x,0)e^{-ikx}\mathrm dx?$$

Physics news on Phys.org
By doing the integral ?

I suppose the result is
$$\Psi(x,t)=c_b\frac{\sqrt{mu}}{\hbar}e^{-\frac{mu|x|}{\hbar^2}}e^{i\frac{mu^2}{2\hbar^3}t}+
\int\limits_{-\infty}^0\phi(k)(e^{ikx}+\frac{i\beta}{1-i\beta}e^{-ikx})e^{-i\frac{\hbar k^2t}{2m}} \mathrm dk+\int\limits_{0}^\infty\phi(k)\frac{1}{1-i\beta}e^{ikx}e^{-i\frac{\hbar k^2t}{2m}} \mathrm d k,$$
where $$\beta=\frac{mu}{\hbar^2 k}.$$
The question becomes how to find $$c_b$$ and $$\phi(k).$$
I don't know if my general solution is correct of not.
If yes, how to determine the coefficients?

Looks good. You only have to normalize the scattering states to a ##\delta## distribution,
$$\int_{\mathbb{R}} \mathrm{d} x \psi_k^*(x) \psi_{k'}(x)= \delta(k-k'),$$
and the scattering state should have a factor ##\exp(\mathrm{i} k x)## for ##x>0##.

Then the coefficients are given by
$$c_b=\int_{\mathbb{R}} \mathrm{d} x \psi_b^*(x) \psi(x,0), \quad \phi(k) = \int_{\mathbb{R}} \mathrm{d} x \psi_{k}^*(x) \psi(x,0).$$

1. What is a Dirac Delta Potential Well?

A Dirac Delta Potential Well is a theoretical model used in quantum mechanics to study the behavior of a particle in a potential well with a delta function potential. It is often used to understand the effects of point-like impurities or defects in a material.

2. What is the significance of the "General Solution" in the Dirac Delta Potential Well?

The "General Solution" refers to the complete set of possible solutions to the Schrödinger equation for a particle in a Dirac Delta Potential Well. It takes into account both bound states, where the particle is confined within the well, and scattering states, where the particle can escape the well.

3. How is the general solution of the Dirac Delta Potential Well derived?

The general solution is derived by solving the Schrödinger equation with the Dirac Delta Potential Well as the potential function. This involves using techniques from mathematical analysis and differential equations to find the appropriate wavefunctions and energies for the bound and scattering states.

4. What are the key properties of the general solution of the Dirac Delta Potential Well?

The general solution has several key properties, including the existence of both bound and scattering states, the energy quantization of the bound states, and the oscillatory behavior of the scattering states. It also shows that the strength of the delta function potential has a significant impact on the particle's behavior.

5. How is the general solution of the Dirac Delta Potential Well used in practical applications?

The general solution of the Dirac Delta Potential Well is used in various practical applications, including the study of electronic and optical properties of materials, the behavior of quantum dots and nanoparticles, and the design of quantum devices such as transistors and lasers. It also has applications in nuclear physics and astrophysics.