1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

General solution of initial value problem -dont understand problem is asking me?

1. Nov 27, 2009 #1
    General solution of initial value problem --dont understand problem is asking me??

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find a value for y-sub-0 for which the solution of the initial value problem:
    y' - y = 1+ 3sin t y(0) - y-sub-0
    remains finite as t approaches infinity.

(i called it "y-sub-0" , just because i cant do subscript)

book answer says y-sub-0 = -5/2 but i dont understand how or why they have that.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

first of all, i got the general solution (but then i am stuck)

y' - y = 1+ 3sin t

get integrating factor...
    u(t) = e^t

(e^t)y = integ: (1+ 3sin t)e^t

expand RHS...

(e^t)y = integ: e^t + integ (e^t)(3sin t)

integrate RHS using integ by parts on the last term of RHS (this is where i suspect i am messing up??)
    (e^t)y = e^t + 3/4e^t(sin t + cos t) + e^t + c

divide both sides by e^t to isolate y, and cancel where applicable

y = e^t + 3/4(sin t - cos t) + 1 + c/e^t

then, apply initial condition , y(0) = ysub0

y = 1/4 + c

BUT --this is where i am confused. because the question asks what value of y will remain finite as t approaches infinity? But they just said that t = 0 in the initial conditions ( y(0) = y-sub-0 )

so i dont understand what they are asking me.. can you please rephrase what value i am looking for?

book answer says y = -5/2, but i dont see how or why that is the answer...
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: General solution of initial value problem --dont understand problem is asking me?

For one thing, the integrating factor should be e^(-t), shouldn't it? As for the overall concept, if you find the correct solution, it should have a term like c*e^(t). e^(t) goes to infinity, so you want to arrange your initial conditions so that you can set c=0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook