Generalized coordinates basic question

In summary, the book discusses the Hamiltonian, which is a mathematical description of the motion of a particle. The book outlines four steps in obtaining the Hamiltonian: computing the momentum as a function of position and velocity, using the Lagrangian; computing the velocity as a function of position and momentum; obtaining the "mixed" expression, H(x,p,\dot{x}); and using the result of 2 to rewrite all occurrences of \dot{x} in terms of p and x.
nomadreid
Gold Member
From "A Student's Guide to Langrangins and Hamiltonians", Patrick Hamill, Cambridge, 2017 edition.
Apologies: since I do not know how to put dots above a variable in this box, I will put the dots as superscripts. Similarly for the limits in a sum.
On page 6,
"we denote the coordinates by qi and the corresponding velocities by qi."
Further he terms pi the generalized momenta.
Then, on page 97, using L as the Lagrangian,
" H(qi, pi, t) = ∑i=1npiqi - L(qi, qi,t)" [equation (4.8)]
The function H is called the Hamiltonian...Keep in mind that the Hamiltonian must be expressed in terms of the generalized momentum. An expression for H involving velocities is wrong." (Italics in the original.)

But it is not clear to me why equation 4.8 is not also in terms of velocities, i.e., qi

(Perhaps this should be a mathematics threads rather than a QM thread; I place it here because of the context.)

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't get that sentence either, since there is a 1 to 1 correspondence between momenta and velocities.

Likes nomadreid
By the way, a dot is obtained by the code ##\dot{q}_i##, "\dot{q}_i".

Likes nomadreid
But the book is in fact right. For the Hamiltonian formulation of Hamilton's principle the Hamiltonian must be expressed in terms of generalized coordinates and their canonical momenta, not generalized velocities. The Lagrangian formulation deals with the generalized coordinates and their assiciated generalized velocities. Of course you can use any form of "mixture", which is due to Routh. It's rarely found in modern textbooks, and I've never found any application which is easier solved using this most general description than with Lagrange or Hamilton. If you are interested in it, you find it in Sommerfeld's Lectures on Theoretical Physics, vol. 1 (which book series I cannot recommend enough; for me it's the master piece in theoretical-physics textbook writing which sets the very high standard of any text-book writing in this field).

Obviously, you can convert back and forth between momenta and velocities. But in Hamiltonian dynamics, the Hamiltonian serves a role beyond its numerical value (which is of course, not changed by substituting velocities for momenta or vice-versa). The Hamiltonian equations of motion are (I'm just going to use a single variable, [itex]x[/itex] and the corresponding momentum, [itex]p[/itex]. The generalization to multiple generalized coordinates and momenta is straight-forward.)
  1. [itex]\frac{dx}{dt} = \frac{\partial H}{\partial p}[/itex]
  2. [itex]\frac{dp}{dt} = - \frac{\partial H}{\partial x}[/itex]
In order to compute the partial derivatives on the right side of the equalities, you have to write [itex]H[/itex] in terms of [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]p[/itex]

So there's really four steps in obtaining the hamiltonian:
  1. First, compute the momentum as a function of position and velocity, using the Lagrangian: [itex]p = \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{x}}[/itex]
  2. Use that to compute the velocity as a function of position and momentum: [itex]\dot{x} = F(x,p)[/itex]
  3. Then, compute the "mixed" expression: [itex]H(x,p,\dot{x}) = p \dot{x} - L[/itex]
  4. Finally, use the result of 2 to rewrite all occurrences of [itex]\dot{x}[/itex] in terms of [itex]p[/itex] and [itex]x[/itex], to get an expression: [itex]H(p,x)[/itex] that only involves [itex]p[/itex] and [itex]x[/itex]

Likes vanhees71, nomadreid and Nguyen Son
Thanks, stevendaryl, for the very helpful and complete answer.
Thanks also vanhees71; I will keep the recommended book in mind if I find a way to freely access it.

1. What are generalized coordinates?

Generalized coordinates are a set of independent variables used to describe the configuration of a physical system. They are used to define the position and orientation of the system's components relative to each other.

2. How are generalized coordinates different from regular coordinates?

Generalized coordinates are not tied to a specific coordinate system, unlike regular coordinates. They can be expressed in any coordinate system and are chosen based on the specific needs of the system being studied.

3. What is the importance of using generalized coordinates?

Using generalized coordinates can simplify the mathematical equations used to describe a physical system, making it easier to analyze and solve problems. They also allow for a more general approach, as they are not limited to a specific coordinate system.

4. How are generalized coordinates chosen for a system?

The choice of generalized coordinates depends on the degrees of freedom of the system, which are the number of independent ways in which the system can move. The coordinates must also be independent and unique, and they should be able to fully describe the configuration of the system.

5. Can multiple sets of generalized coordinates be used for the same system?

Yes, it is possible to use multiple sets of generalized coordinates for the same system. This can be helpful in situations where one set of coordinates may be more suitable for certain calculations or analysis, while another set may be more useful for a different purpose.