Generalized Momentum is a linear functional of Velocity?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
chmodfree
Messages
7
Reaction score
3
Generalized momentum is covariant while velocity is contravariant in coordinate transformation on configuration space, thus they are defined in the tangent bundle and cotangent bundle respectively.
Question: Is that means the momentum is a linear functional of velocity? If so, the way to construct this functional?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If the Lagrangian is quadratic in the coordinate velocities then it is linear at the point of the tangent bundle and can thus be expressed as the result of a linear mapping by a generalized inertia tensor, [itex]P_a = M_{ab}(Q,t)\dot{Q}^b[/itex]

[itex]P_a = \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}(Q,\dot{Q},t)}{\partial \dot{Q}^a} = M_{ab}\dot{Q}^b[/itex] with [itex]M[/itex] not depending on any [itex]\dot{Q}[/itex] if and only if the Lagrangian was quadratic in these velocities.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: chmodfree
jambaugh said:
If the Lagrangian is quadratic in the coordinate velocities then it is linear at the point of the tangent bundle and can thus be expressed as the result of a linear mapping by a generalized inertia tensor, [itex]P_a = M_{ab}(Q,t)\dot{Q}^b[/itex]

[itex]P_a = \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}(Q,\dot{Q},t)}{\partial \dot{Q}^a} = M_{ab}\dot{Q}^b[/itex] with [itex]M[/itex] not depending on any [itex]\dot{Q}[/itex] if and only if the Lagrangian was quadratic in these velocities.
Oh I see, that means the contraction [itex]P_a\dot{Q}^a[/itex] is a real.
 
chmodfree said:
Oh I see, that means the contraction [itex]P_a\dot{Q}^a[/itex] is a real.
I don't know about real... I imagine someone might cook up a Lagrangian with complex inertia, but the contraction is a scalar.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: bhobba
jambaugh said:
I don't know about real... I imagine someone might cook up a Lagrangian with complex inertia, but the contraction is a scalar.
I mean it maps [itex]\dot{Q}[/itex] from tangent bundle to the real number field as a functional... No problem now, thank you.