Generalizing the Bell Inequality for Arbitrary Measurement Axes

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the Bell inequality for a specific setup involving measurements on an entangled Bell state. It is shown that the probability of observing a spin down state for a certain measurement axis is less than what is expected classically, and the question is raised about whether this can be generalized to arbitrary measurement axes. The conversation also mentions a graph that shows a violation of Bell's inequality at certain angles, and discusses the validity of this graph and the existence of a maximal violation angle.
lowea001
EDIT: I realize now that I have fundamentally misunderstood a crucial aspect of deriving the Bell inequality for this case which is the existence of the third axis. The setup of the problem did state that the axes were chosen at random. Therefore I can't just look at the possibility of choosing one specific axis. I no longer require assistance with the question but will leave it here:

I have been introduced to bell inequalities through an introductory course on quantum information. The specific setup presented was the following: Alice and Bob are given the entangled Bell state ##|\Psi\rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left(|01\rangle - |10\rangle\right)## such that the results of their measurements always disagree when they pick the same measurement axis, but differ with some probability ##P## when they pick different axes.

A local hidden variable theory predicts that whatever this probability is, assuming that different measurement axes are picked, ##P_{\text{classical}} \geq \frac{1}{3}## (if this needs further clarification I can elaborate in the thread but this is the version of Bell's inequality which we were given). It is then shown that if Alice measures ##+\frac{\hbar}{2}## along the z-axis, then if Bob pick the measurement axis ##\hat{S}_2 = \frac{\hbar}{2}\left(\text{cos}\frac{2\pi}{3}\sigma_3 + \text{sin}\frac{2\pi}{3}\sigma_1\right)## , then he observes the spin down state with probability ##P = \frac{1}{4}## which is less than the ##\frac{1}{3}## we'd expect classically. My question is, can we generalize this to arbitrary measurement axes based on the azimuthal angle ##\theta## ? I learned earlier in the course that in some random direction ##\hat{S }_n## the probability of measuring ##+\frac{\hbar}{2}## is $$P = \text{cos}^2(\theta/2)$$. In that case, is the following graph valid?

prob_vs_angle.png
Something doesn't seem right to me since as you approach ##\theta = \pi## Bell's inequality is violated with a greater magnitude and this can get arbitrarily close to ##\pi##, but I'm pretty sure there should be an angle at which the violation is maximal. I know right at ##\pi## this is no longer a valid axis since the measurement axes should form a basis in 3D. Is my plot of probabilities for different angles incorrect, or am I wrong in my assumption that there should be an angle for which the violation is maximal?

Attachments

• prob_vs_angle.png
    prob_vs_angle.png
    7 KB · Views: 362
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a straight line and see where the curve deviates for it the most.

What is the Bell inequality?

The Bell inequality is a mathematical expression that tests the limits of classical physics by comparing the predictions of a local hidden variable theory to the results of quantum mechanics experiments.

Why is it important to generalize the Bell inequality?

Generalizing the Bell inequality allows us to test the validity of quantum mechanics in more complex systems and with different measurement axes, providing a more comprehensive understanding of the quantum world.

What is meant by "arbitrary measurement axes" in the context of the Bell inequality?

In the Bell inequality, measurement axes refer to the orientation or direction in which particles are measured. "Arbitrary measurement axes" means that the measurement axes can be chosen freely, rather than being predetermined or limited to specific orientations.

How does the generalization of the Bell inequality affect our understanding of quantum mechanics?

The generalization of the Bell inequality allows us to test the predictions of quantum mechanics in more diverse situations, which can help us to refine and improve our understanding of the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics.

What are some potential applications of the generalized Bell inequality?

The generalized Bell inequality has potential applications in quantum cryptography, quantum computing, and testing the foundations of quantum mechanics. It may also lead to new insights and discoveries in the field of quantum physics.