1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Generating function for Legendre polynomials

1. May 8, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Using binomial expansion, prove that

[tex]
    \frac{1}{\sqrt{1 - 2 x u + u^2}} = \sum_{k} P_k(x) u^k.
    [/tex]

2. Relevant equations

[tex]
    \frac{1}{\sqrt{1 + v}} = \sum_{k} (-1)^k \frac{(2k)!}{2^{2k} (k!)^2} v^k
    [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I simply inserted [itex]v = u^2 - 2 x u[/itex], then expanded the [itex]v^k[/tex] to obtain the double sum

[tex]
    \sum_{k} (-1)^k \frac{(2k)!}{2^{2k} (k!)^2} \sum_{n \leq k} \left( \begin{array}{c} k \\ n \end{array} \right) (-2 x)^n u^{2 k - n}.
    [/tex]

Now I need to turn this into a single sum by collecting like powers of [itex]u[/itex], which is what I'm stuck at. I don't see how to go about that.

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2010 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You might find this relationship helpful. It's just a rearrangement of terms in a series.

[tex]\sum_{p=0}^\infty\sum_{q=0}^p\,a_{q,p-q} = \sum_{r=0}^\infty\sum_{s=0}^{[r/2]}\,a_{s,r-2s}[/tex]

where [r/2] = r/2 if r is even or (r-1)/2 if r is odd.

4. May 9, 2010 #3
    I suppose you mean to apply this using [itex]p = 2 k[/itex], so that my powers of [itex]u[/itex] become [itex]2 k - 2 n[/itex] instead of [itex]2 k - n[/itex]? I'm not sure how that simplifies things. I'm still not sure what kind of expressions I'm going to get in front of my [itex]u[/itex]'s.

5. May 9, 2010 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I think you have to have p=k and q=n from comparing your expression to the LHS of the relationship.

What definition do you have for the Legendre polynomials? I'm wondering what you should be shooting for.

6. May 9, 2010 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You can factor out uk from the second summation and swap the exponents on the (-2x) and u to get

[tex]\sum_{k=0}^\infty (-1)^k \frac{(2k)!}{2^{2k} (k!)^2} u^k \sum_{n=0}^k \begin{pmatrix}k \\ n \end{pmatrix} (-1)^{k-n} (2x)^{k-n} u^n = \sum_{k=0}^\infty \sum_{n=0}^k (-1)^{n} \frac{(2k)!}{2^{2k} (k!)^2} u^k \begin{pmatrix}k \\ n \end{pmatrix} (2x)^{k-n} u^n[/tex]

After you switch to the new indices, us will be multiplied by a polynomial with just even or odd powers of x, just like the Legendre polynomials.

7. May 9, 2010 #6
    Though I hadn't given it a lot of thought yet, I expected to have to use the Rodriguez formula. I now see where you are going, though, since I just discovered the expression

[tex]
    P_k(x) = \frac{1}{2^n} \sum_{n=0}^{[k/2]} (-1)^n \frac{(2k-2n)!}{n!(k-n)!(k-2n)!} x^{k-2n}.
    [/tex]

So, after using the relation you suggested, I get the sum

[tex]
    \sum_k \sum_{n=0}^{[k/2]} (-1)^k \frac{(2k-2n)!}{2^{2k-n} (k-n)! n! (k-2n)!} x^n u^{2k-3n}.
    [/tex]

This is starting to look like what I need, but not quite yet.

As for your second post, I'm not sure what you're doing. First of all, your expression isn't equal to mine, since you have [itex]u^{k+n}[/itex], while I have [itex]u^{2k-n}[/itex]. Is my expression incorrect? Second, what do you mean by 'swap the exponents'?

8. May 9, 2010 #7

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Both expressions are correct. It's just how you applied the binomial theorem. You wrote

[tex](x+y)^n = \sum_{k=0}^n \begin{pmatrix}n \\ k\end{pmatrix} x^k y^{n-k}[/tex]

while I'm suggesting you instead write

[tex](x+y)^n = \sum_{k=0}^n \begin{pmatrix}n \\ k\end{pmatrix} x^{n-k} y^k[/tex]

That's what I meant by "swap the exponents." It's just to make the exponent of u look more like what you're shooting for.

9. May 9, 2010 #8
    Ah, I see what you mean now. I hadn't actually used this form of the binomial expansion, I was using the special case [itex](1+x)^k[/itex] and was factoring out to get that form, so the symmetry got a little lost. Using the second form of the expansion indeed made things a lot neater and I've got my answer now. Thanks a lot!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook