Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Generating functions in the branching process.

1. Nov 23, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am told that I have particles which each yield a random number of offspring of known distribution independently from each other and from the past generations.

Xn is the number of particles in the nth generation
    The distribution of a typical family size is Z and so Xn is the sum of appropriate Zi's

I need a generating function of the number Xn in the nth generation.

2. The attempt at a solution

I know that Fn+1(s) = E [sXn+1]
    from the definition of generating functions and how to derive them.

But my lecturer then goes on to say that = ƩE[sXn+1|Xn=j] * P[Xn=j ]

Summed over j.

How does he get from one to the other? If I can make this link then I can go on to show what I need to!

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2011 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's just a standard result in Probability. Suppose [itex] \{A_k \}[/itex] is a partition of the sample space [itex] \Omega [/itex], meaning that the A_k are disjoint and their union is Ω. Then, for any discrete random variable B we have [tex] \Pr \{B=j\} = \sum_k \Pr\{B=j|A_k\} \Pr \{A_k\}.[/tex] Thus, for any f >= 0 we have
    [tex] E f(B) = \sum_j f(j) \Pr\{B=j \} = \sum_k \Pr\{A_k\} \sum_j f(j) \Pr\{B=j|A_k\}
    =\sum_k E[f(B)|A_k] \Pr\{A_k\}, [/tex]
    where I have swapped the order of summation, which is OK for a positive function.

RGV

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook