Genetic sequence multiple choice question

In summary, the conversation discusses a sequence that has been digested with an enzyme and asks which structure it would result in. The options given are 3' overhang, blunt ends, 5' overhang, or any of these. The conversation goes on to explain that the answer can be deduced from understanding how restriction enzymes work. The person asking the question believes the answer is 5' overhang, but is unsure if it could also be 3' overhang. The conversation concludes with the person understanding the answer and thanking for the help.
Arnoldjavs3

Homework Statement

5) Examine the following sequence:
5' GAATTC 3'
3' CTTAAG 5'
If this sequence was disgested with an enzyme (ex. ECOri) which cut between the guanine and adenine bases on which would it have?
A) 3' overhang
B) Blunt ends
C) 5' overhang
D) Any of these

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm doing a little prep-work before tackling this unit in class.
I honestly do not understand what this questoin means too well(sentence is poorly structured?)
BUt i think its either A or D. If anyone could enlighten me that would be great(as to what is goign on here)

Physics news on Phys.org
The link is necessary knowledge but the answer is perfectly easily deducible just from the information in the question.
If the enzyme cleaves as stated what structure will you be left with after it has acted and what description does that fit?

I believe it is a 5' overhang. I put this answer on my test(exact same questoin for some reason)
and I got it right. But can it not be a 3' overhang as well?

If you answer my question you will find it helps answer yours.

Alright I think i got it now. Thanks for the help!

What is a genetic sequence multiple choice question?

A genetic sequence multiple choice question is a type of question that presents a series of possible nucleotide sequences and asks the test taker to identify the correct sequence based on their knowledge of genetics and molecular biology.

Why are genetic sequence multiple choice questions important?

Genetic sequence multiple choice questions are important because they assess the test taker's understanding of genetics and molecular biology concepts, which are crucial for various fields such as medicine, biotechnology, and genetic research.

How are genetic sequence multiple choice questions typically structured?

Genetic sequence multiple choice questions usually present a sequence of nucleotides, such as A, C, T, and G, and ask the test taker to choose the correct order of these nucleotides based on their understanding of DNA structure and function.

What skills are required to answer genetic sequence multiple choice questions?

To answer genetic sequence multiple choice questions, a strong understanding of genetics and molecular biology concepts is necessary. Additionally, critical thinking and analytical skills are important in analyzing and identifying the correct sequence.

Are there any tips for approaching genetic sequence multiple choice questions?

Some tips for approaching genetic sequence multiple choice questions include carefully reading the question and all answer options, eliminating any obviously incorrect options, and using your understanding of genetics and molecular biology to make an educated guess if needed.