Simple kinematics multiple choice question

In summary, the conversation is discussing the reasoning behind selecting answer A for a conceptual problem involving a ball's motion due to gravity. The speaker questions why answer C is the correct choice and explains their reasoning for why answer II is false. They also bring up the possibility of answer III being incorrect as well.
NP04
Homework Statement
See image.
Relevant Equations
conceptual problem
Screen Shot 2019-05-05 at 2.24.58 PM.png

I selected A, because the ball is merely in motion due to the force of gravity (after applied force).

My teacher has not concerned us with air resistance so can someone please explain why the correct answer is C? I reasoned that gravity was always accelerating the ball at -9.8 m/s^2 throughout its trajectory so condition II could not be accurate.

Physics news on Phys.org
NP04 said:
Problem Statement: See image.
Relevant Equations: conceptual problem

View attachment 242988
I selected A, because the ball is merely in motion due to the force of gravity (after applied force).

My teacher has not concerned us with air resistance so can someone please explain why the correct answer is C? I reasoned that gravity was always accelerating the ball at -9.8 m/s^2 throughout its trajectory so condition II could not be accurate.
II is false and your reasoning is correct (but to clarify, you should explain why air resistance is zero at the highest point, so gravity is the only force).
But what about III?

Likes CWatters

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces causing the motion.

2. What is a simple kinematics multiple choice question?

A simple kinematics multiple choice question is a type of test question that presents a scenario involving the motion of objects and asks the test-taker to select the correct answer from a list of options.

3. How do I solve a simple kinematics multiple choice question?

To solve a simple kinematics multiple choice question, first read the question carefully and identify the relevant information such as initial and final positions, velocities, and accelerations. Then, use the appropriate kinematic equations to calculate the unknown quantity and select the answer choice that matches your calculation.

4. What are some common types of simple kinematics multiple choice questions?

Some common types of simple kinematics multiple choice questions include problems involving projectile motion, constant acceleration, and relative motion.

5. Can I use a calculator to solve a simple kinematics multiple choice question?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve a simple kinematics multiple choice question. However, be sure to check the question instructions to see if a calculator is allowed, as some exams may require you to show your work without the use of a calculator.