Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Geodesic curvature, normal curvature, and geodesic torsion

1. Mar 3, 2014 #1
    I am struggling to make sense out some things. Hopefully someone can help or at least offer some different point of view. Let's examine a differential curve parameterized by arc length that maps some interval into an oriented surface (lets call it N(s)). The surface has a unit normal field restricted to the curve [itex]\alpha[/itex]. Also, let [itex]n(s):=N(s)\wedge T(s)[/itex] where [itex]T(s)=\alpha '(s)[/itex].

If we define the derivatives of T, N, and n as the following

[itex]T'=-k_{g}n+k_{n}N[/itex]
    [itex]n'=k_{g}T+\tau_{g}N[/itex]
    [itex]N'=-k_{n}T-\tau_{g}n[/itex]

then we should have [itex]N'\cdot T = -k_{n}[/itex] and the second fundamental form is given by [itex]II(T,T) = k_{n}[/itex] while [itex]N'\cdot n=-\tau_{g}[/itex] so that the second fundamental form is given by [itex]II(T,n)=\tau_{g}[/itex].

This seems pretty clear to me, unless I have my definitions mixed up some how. Does this seem correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2014 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Hmm. I'm not sure what your ##N(s)## is supposed to be. Is ##N(s)## the normal of the surface at point ##\alpha(s)##?

I get some sign differences. I think you should see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darboux_frame for the correct definitions.

Not sure where this comes from. Could you clarify?

4. Mar 3, 2014 #3
    Yes that is correct. I made a mistake in my initial statement. N(s) is the unit normal field to the surface at [itex]\alpha(s)[/itex]. Thanks for allowing me to clarify this. That means n(s) is the normal to the curve [itex]\alpha[/itex].

I will look into this.

The second fundamental form defined by [itex]II(v,v)=-\left\langle dN_{p}v,v\right\rangle[/itex] for any v in the tangent plane at a point p of S.

5. Mar 3, 2014 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I agree with that then, up to signs. (Not that signs are all that important)

6. Mar 3, 2014 #5
    That is interesting, because I spoke with a professor recently about this and his claim was that the geodesic torsion was defined by [itex]II(T,N)=\tau_{g}[/itex]. But by inspection this wouldn't make sense. I'm just confused a little I guess.

7. Mar 3, 2014 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Signs are not so important anyway. If he defines his geodesic torsion like that, then I don't think it'll make a lot of difference. It'll yield the same theory up to sign.

8. Mar 3, 2014 #7
    I agree with the sign issue but I think it does make a huge difference because [itex]N'\cdot n \ne N'\cdot N[/itex] by definition of the Darboux frame, and by that same definition [itex]N'\cdot n=\tau_{g}[/itex]. So [itex]II(T,N)\ne \tau_{g}[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook