Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Geodesic quation coordinate time

1. Nov 11, 2014 #1
    Hi guys

So im having trouble reparameterizing the geodesic equation in terms of coordinate time.
    Normally you have:

[tex] \frac{d^2 x^{\alpha}}{d \tau^2} + \Gamma_{nm}^{\alpha} \frac{d x^{n}}{d \tau}\frac{d x^{m}}{d \tau} = 0 [/tex]

Where [itex] \tau [/itex] is the proper time. I class we were told to express the above in terms of coordinate time and so i reasoned that one would use the chain rule:

[tex] \frac{d }{d \tau} = \frac{d t}{d \tau} \frac{d }{d t} [/tex]

When i do so i get the following:

[tex] \frac{d^2 x^{\alpha}}{d t^2} + \Gamma_{nm}^{\alpha} \frac{d x^{n}}{d t}\frac{d x^{m}}{d t} = - \frac{d^2t/d \tau^2}{dt/d\tau} \frac{d x^{\alpha}}{dt} [/tex]

Which - i guess - has the form that one would expect because t is non-affine.

However i dont know how to proceed from here. I´ve tried to use [itex] d\tau ^2 = g_{nm}dx^ndx^m [/itex] to find [itex]dt/d \tau [/itex], but i can´t seem to get anything meaningful.

Thanks for your time!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2014 #2

pervect

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I did something related to this once upon a time, but it's been a while. Are you looking to find the form of the geodesic equations given that you have ##x^1##, ##x^2##, ##x^3## as functions of t? If so I might try to reconstruct what I did if you haven't already figured it out by the time I get to it., As I recall it was a matter of using the chain rule, plus some algebra involving the geodesic equation for ##x^0## (which is another name for "t") in it's original form as a function of ##\tau##, i.e. the standard geodesic equation for ##x^0(\tau)## or ##t(\tau)##.

4. Nov 14, 2014 #3

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

You cannot simplify it any further but you can express it in terms of meaningful quantities: ##\frac{dt}{d\tau} = u^0 = \gamma## where ##\gamma## is the "time dilation factor" of the particle in the coordinate system that it is moving through. In stationary space-times, that is those with a time-like Killing field, you can also express ##\frac{dt}{d\tau}## in terms of the conserved energy per unit mass ##e##. For example in Schwarzschild space-time we have ##e = (1 - \frac{2M}{r})\frac{dt}{d\tau}##. Furthermore you can use the geodesic equation for ##\alpha = t## to get rid of ##\frac{d^2 t}{d\tau^2}##.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  5. Nov 14, 2014 #4
    What did you mean by meaningful? This is the expression for geodesic parametrized by non-affine parameter and any actual physical manifestation might require information on the physical system. If you mean to eliminate the τ derivatives; then I think it is possible to set α to 0th component.

In case you have never done so, physical interpretations usually rely on the Newtonian weak field limit, where the τ derivatives are eliminated by the original geodesic equation under that limit (again by setting α to 0 and making suitable assumptions about the Christoffel connection coefficients).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook