Geometric Optics - Converging Lens

In summary, the given lens is a converging lens with a focal length of 46.9cm. The resulting image is real and can be seen on a screen placed at the focal point.
PeachBanana

Homework Statement

A certain lens focuses light from an object 2.90m away as an image 46.9cm on the other side of the lens.

1. What type of lens is it? (Converging or Diverging?)
2. What is the focal length?
3. Is the image real or virtual?

Homework Equations

1/di + 1/do = 1/f

The Attempt at a Solution

1. I thought because the image formed on the other side of the lens the lens was diverging but my online homework assignment says otherwise (and so do lecture notes!)

2. 1 / 0.029 cm + 1 / 46.9 cm = 1 / f

3. Real (because it's a concave mirror, right?)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi PeachBanana! :smile:
PeachBanana said:
A certain lens focuses light from an object 2.90m away as an image 46.9cm on the other side of the lens.

1. What type of lens is it? (Converging or Diverging?)
2. What is the focal length?
3. Is the image real or virtual?

1. I thought because the image formed on the other side of the lens the lens was diverging but my online homework assignment says otherwise (and so do lecture notes!)

no, converging means that as time goes forward, the rays get closer

light from an ordinary source always starts by diverging (it spreads out) … this lens focussed it :wink:
3. Real (because it's a concave mirror, right?)

i] it's a lens :rolleyes:

ii] the image is real if you can put a screen there and see it on the screen

that's why it's called "real"! :smile:
a diverging lens makes the rays look as if they came from behind the mirror … but if you put a screen there, you'll see nothing, because the rays never went through there :wink:

Thank you I understand much better.

1. What is a converging lens?

A converging lens is a type of lens that is thicker in the middle and thinner at the edges. It is also known as a convex lens and is used to refract light rays and converge them to a point, also known as the focal point.

2. How does a converging lens work?

A converging lens works by refracting light rays that pass through it. The thicker middle part of the lens causes the light rays to bend towards the center, while the thinner edges cause the light rays to bend away from the center. This convergence of light rays results in a focal point, where the light rays meet and form an image.

3. What is the focal length of a converging lens?

The focal length of a converging lens is the distance between the lens and the focal point. It is denoted by the symbol "f" and is measured in meters (m). The focal length determines the magnification and the position of the image formed by the lens.

4. How is the image formed by a converging lens?

The image formed by a converging lens is a real, inverted image. This means that the image can be projected onto a screen and it appears upside down compared to the object. The size and position of the image depend on the distance of the object from the lens and the focal length of the lens.

5. What are some applications of converging lenses?

Converging lenses have many practical applications, including magnifying glasses, eyeglasses, cameras, and telescopes. They are also used in various scientific instruments, such as microscopes and projectors. Additionally, they are used in corrective lenses for vision correction in individuals with nearsightedness, farsightedness, or astigmatism.