1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Geometric Properties from Eigenvectors

1. Oct 19, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi! I just used MATLAB to find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of A=[0 -1; 1 0]
    I obtained the eigenvalues of 0 +/- i
    and eigenvectors of v(1) = [ 0.7071; 0 - 0.7071i] and v(2) = [ 0.7071; 0 + 0.7071i]

2. Relevant equations
    I'm having trouble interpreting these results in relation to the geometric properties of the linear transformation T(x; y) = [0 -1; 1 0] [x; y]

3. The attempt at a solution
    As far as what the transformation does this is my explanation: It changes the sign of the y values i.e. positive to negative or negative to positive.
    As far as interpreting the MATLAB results in relation to the geometric properties of the linear transformation T, I can only explain it as: the eigenvalues illustrate that the x values remain the same but the y values change in sign.

Is such an explanation correct. Is this what the transformation does.
    Sorry I haven't done much mathematical explainations and not quite sure if this is how to go about it.

Thank you in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Daniel323! :smile:

(have plus-or-minus: ± and a square-root: √ :smile:)

i] You can multiply eiegenvectors (but not eigenvalues, of course) by any factor … in this case, it's much neater if you divide by .7071 (= 1/√2 :wink:), to give eigenvectors of v(1) = [ 1; -i] and v(2) = [1; i]. :smile:

ii] If a complex number is purely imaginary, you don't have to write it as "0 + …": in this case, you can write that the eigenvalues are ±i.

iii] Hint: draw the lines through the origin along [ 1; -i] and [1; i]. What does T do to these lines? Is there a rotation? Is there a reflection? :wink:

4. Oct 20, 2008 #3
    Hi tiny-tim, thanks for that.

I drew the lines on a graph and I think this is the effect (and this would be a much better explanation then my previous one);
    The linear transformation T reflects the line or each point through the x axis.

Hopefully I'm right, thanks again! :)

5. Oct 20, 2008 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Daniel323! :smile:
    Nooo … y = x, x = -y is a … ? :smile:

Hint: a reflection will have a negative determinant.

A rotation (in 2D) has no fixed line, and therefore no real eigenvalues. :wink:

6. Oct 20, 2008 #5
    Ahhhh.... here's goes nothing:
    The linear transformation T rotates the line or each point through the x axis?

Thanks again.

7. Oct 20, 2008 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

"nothing shall come of nothing …"

I'm not following you … what's a rotation through the x axis? :confused:

(this is only 2D …)

8. Oct 20, 2008 #7
    Sorry about that, my mistake. I'm just horrible at mathematical explanations.

The linear transformation T causes a rotation for each vector. Is this generally a good sort of explanation for such findings?

9. Oct 20, 2008 #8

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, that's fine! :smile:

Rotation reflection and translation are the correct mathematical terms for what all 2D or 3D transformations are made of.

But can I just check … a rotation of how much, and about what axis?

10. Oct 20, 2008 #9
    Of course you can! I believe it is a rotation about the x-axis, but as far as how much I'm not completely sure how to say. If I was to guess I'd say a rotation of 180 degrees about the x-axis.

11. Oct 20, 2008 #10

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hmm … this is 2D, so any rotation must be about the z-axis (or a line parallel to the z-axis).

Just try a couple of test points, to see where they go. :smile:
    (Actually, I should have added expansion, either generally or in one direction.)

12. Oct 20, 2008 #11
    Hmm I'm kind of confused now, because it is 2D I thought we were only dealing with a x and y axis.

So now the rotation is about the z-axis, but again not sure how to describe how much of a rotation.

I tried out some points and generally understand what the transformation is doing, just can't explain it mathematically, so to speak.

13. Oct 20, 2008 #12

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

ok, I agree, technically there's no z-axis, but you can rotate about the origin (or any other point), which is the same as a rotation about the z-axis.

In other words, stick a pin in the paper, to fix it to the desk, and rotate!

As for a proper mathematical explanation, any rotation about a particular axis (or point, in 2D) is defined by its angle … so how through many degrees is everything rotated? :smile:

14. Oct 20, 2008 #13
    Ok so I will say it is a rotation about the origin or point by 180 degrees.
    I suspect it is 180 degrees, but maybe I'm looking at it wrong and it is only 90 degrees.

15. Oct 20, 2008 #14

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, it's one or the other! :biggrin:

Hint: stop trying to be abstract …

do a concrete example …

what happens to (1,0)? :wink:

16. Oct 21, 2008 #15
    Umm I'm gonna go with a rotation about the origin by 180 degrees. Please tell me I'm finally right!

17. Oct 21, 2008 #16

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, 180º would send (1,0) to (-1,0), but A(1,0) = (0,1), so … ? :smile:

18. Oct 21, 2008 #17

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No need to guess. What does that transformation change <1, 0> to?

19. Oct 26, 2008 #18
    Ahh the transformation changes (1,0) to (0,1) hence the x and y value swaps at this point and therefore a rotation about the origin by 90 degrees.

I believe I am right here, thanks very much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?