Finding the sum of the series ∑nx^n for |x| < 1

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11 replies · 2K views
kezman
Messages
36
Reaction score
0
Find the sum of the series:
[tex]\sum\limits_{n = 1}^\infty {nx^n }[/tex] if [tex] \left| x \right| < 1<br /> [/tex]


I thought maybe with the geometric form, but I am not sure.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
kezman said:
Find the sum of the series:
[tex] \sum\limits_{n = 1}^\infty {nx^n } [/tex]

if
[tex] \left| x \right| < 1[/tex]I thought maybe with the geometric form, but I am not sure.

Is it asking for a number, or just if the series converges?
 
I think for a general solution. It should converge.
 
Is it asking you to find a power series representation??
 
verd said:
Is it asking you to find a power series representation??

It already is a power series... It's asking for an expression for the sum.
 
You might start by writing out partial sums and see if that gets you anywhere...
 
kezman said:
Find the sum of the series:
[tex]\sum\limits_{n = 1}^\infty {nx^n }[/tex] if [tex] \left| x \right| < 1<br /> [/tex]


I thought maybe with the geometric form, but I am not sure.

How does this differ from your usual geometric series?
 
kezman said:
Find the sum of the series:
[tex]\sum\limits_{n = 1}^\infty {nx^n }[/tex] if [tex] \left| x \right| < 1<br /> [/tex]


I thought maybe with the geometric form, but I am not sure.

Hint : Call the original series S. Write out the first five or so terms in the series. Divide the series by x to get a new series (S/x). Now take the difference between this new series and the original series (S/x - S), term by term and see what you end up with.

The other way to do it is to differentiate a geometric series, but that's more complicated and unnecessary.
 
Last edited:
May as well have a third approach:

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}nx^n=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\sum_{i=1}^{n}x^n[/tex]

Change the order of summation (absolutely convergent series) then apply geometric series a couple of times. This is maybe the most complicated of the three, practice in rearranging summations never hurt.
 
Last edited:
thanks for all the hints.

The method I had to use is the derivative of the geometric series (similar to the one used for the maclaurin problem) using

[tex] <br /> \left( {\frac{1}{{1 - x}}} \right)^\prime = \sum\limits_{n = 0}^\infty {nx^{n - 1} } <br /> <br /> [/tex]