1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Geophysics vs. Petroleum Engineering

1. Dec 25, 2013 #1
    I am currently a Molecular Biology major at The University of Texas at Dallas, but I am thinking about switching to Geosciences with an emphasis on Geophysics, only because the school doesn't offer a Petroleum Engineering Degree. Is this a good substitute? I would then go on to finish a Masters in Petroleum Engineering. How much of a disadvantage would this put me in, compared to students with a B.S. in Petroleum Engineering?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 26, 2013 #2
    What exactly are your career goals?

4. Dec 26, 2013 #3
    My current career goal is to be a Petroleum Engineer or a Hydrogeology Engineer.

5. Dec 26, 2013 #4
    In my opinion, it would be best to do mechanical or civil engineering for undergrad and then petroleum masters. I think not having a bachelor's in some type of engineering will hurt you later as a practicing engineer. You will not be able to take the PE test which may or may not matter for you.

As far as doing geophysics, you will definitely have the Geo part down and then you'll pick up the engineering stuff in grad. Where as if you do engineering, you'll pick up the Geo stuff in grad. Either route should work, it depends on your interests.

Have you taken any Geo classes?

6. Dec 26, 2013 #5
    Ok, this helps a lot, thank you. I am registered for Physical Geology, which I will be taking in the Spring. I was planning on using that class as a way to evaluate whether or not this career would be the right choice for me.

7. Dec 26, 2013 #6
    That's a great idea. I started in bioengineering but eventually lost interest in the life sciences. After taking physical geology I was hooked on the geosciences.

Good luck!

8. Jul 12, 2015 #7
    can i jump in on this and ask your thoughts on a major in computer hardware engineering and a minor in geology maybe geophysics something that would give me the oil and gas extraction qualification to be a petroleum engineer or a computer hardware engineer?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook