1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Get master's degree by just taking comp?

1. Jan 16, 2012 #1
    Do institutions which do not require master's theses allow scoring high enough on a comp exam to earn a master's degree without either being admitted in their master's program or having taken any classes with them? Thanks

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2012 #2

eri

Re: Take comp → immediately get master's degree?

No, I don't know any schools that do that. Most schools that require a comprehensive exam to get a masters make you take it after the coursework, so it's still possible to pass all of your classes and not get a masters if you don't pass the exam (I've seen it happen).

4. Jan 16, 2012 #3
    Re: Take comp → immediately get master's degree?

I think a more appropriate place to find your answer is the website of the particular school.

5. Jan 16, 2012 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

No school does that. Well, not and maintain their accreditation.

6. Jan 16, 2012 #5
    For students who have enough advanced standing (AP, IB, etc) to graduate about two semesters earlier, it is possible, in certain subjects at certain universities/colleges, to graduate in 4 years with BS+MS degrees. Harvard have a similar program for Mathematics and for Physics, awarding the AB and AM degrees.

7. Jan 17, 2012 #6
    Probably most physics programs don't, but what about other majors? Thanks

8. Jan 17, 2012 #7

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I don't know about other majors, but I seriously doubt it. A degree is a program of study, not a test.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook