Get master's degree by just taking comp?

In summary, it is not common for institutions to allow students to earn a master's degree solely based on passing a comprehensive exam without being admitted to the program or completing coursework. This is because a degree is a program of study, not just a test. It is also important to check the specific school's policies and programs for more accurate information.
Geremia
Do institutions which do not require master's theses allow scoring high enough on a comp exam to earn a master's degree without either being admitted in their master's program or having taken any classes with them? Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

No, I don't know any schools that do that. Most schools that require a comprehensive exam to get a masters make you take it after the coursework, so it's still possible to pass all of your classes and not get a masters if you don't pass the exam (I've seen it happen).

I think a more appropriate place to find your answer is the website of the particular school.

No school does that. Well, not and maintain their accreditation.

For students who have enough advanced standing (AP, IB, etc) to graduate about two semesters earlier, it is possible, in certain subjects at certain universities/colleges, to graduate in 4 years with BS+MS degrees. Harvard have a similar program for Mathematics and for Physics, awarding the AB and AM degrees.

Vanadium 50 said:
No school does that. Well, not and maintain their accreditation.

eri said:
No, I don't know any schools that do that. Most schools that require a comprehensive exam to get a masters make you take it after the coursework, so it's still possible to pass all of your classes and not get a masters if you don't pass the exam (I've seen it happen).

Probably most physics programs don't, but what about other majors? Thanks

I don't know about other majors, but I seriously doubt it. A degree is a program of study, not a test.

1. How can I get a master's degree by just taking a computer?

Obtaining a master's degree typically requires completing a specific program of study, which includes coursework and research in a particular field of study. It is not possible to simply "take a computer" and receive a master's degree. However, it is possible to earn a master's degree in a field related to computer science or technology by completing a program that incorporates technology into its curriculum.

2. Is it possible to earn a master's degree online through computer-based courses?

Yes, there are many accredited universities that offer online master's degree programs in various fields, including computer science and technology. These programs typically require students to complete coursework and participate in virtual lectures and discussions, and may also include hands-on projects and exams.

3. Can I get a master's degree in computer science without a background in the field?

While some master's degree programs in computer science or technology may require a background in the field, there are also programs designed for individuals with diverse backgrounds. These programs may offer foundational courses to help students catch up on essential knowledge before diving into more advanced coursework.

4. How long does it take to obtain a master's degree through computer-based courses?

The length of time it takes to earn a master's degree through online or computer-based courses can vary depending on the program and the individual's pace of study. On average, it takes about 2-3 years to complete a master's degree program.

5. What are the benefits of getting a master's degree through computer-based courses?

Some potential benefits of earning a master's degree through computer-based courses include the flexibility to study from anywhere, the ability to continue working while pursuing a degree, and the opportunity to gain skills and knowledge in a rapidly growing field. Additionally, online programs may be more affordable and accessible for individuals who cannot attend traditional on-campus programs.