Getting a triangle from trigonometric function

In summary, to find a right triangle using trigonometric functions, you can set the length of the hypotenuse as 1 and use the given angle and the known 90 degree angle to determine the other sides of the triangle. This can be done by using trigonometric identities or by using basic geometry principles.
enter
How can I get a right triangle from the inputs and outputs of trigonometric functions?
For example: sin(x) = y
The triangle would have one angle as x and the opposite edge of the triangle would be y/hyp etc.
How can I get all of these values from any trigonometric function?
Please tell me if I am missing some needed values and if I need extra inputs.
Thank you in advance.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Since the sin(x) is a ratio of sides y/hypotenuse, you can pick the value of one side say the hypotenuse to be 1 and the side opposite the angle x is what?

So now you have two sides of a right triangle what does that suggest to get the third side?

This is the most basic way to solve it, however there are other ways to solve this using trig identities too.

Likes enter
I don't understand, can you format this like:
hyp =
a =
b =
?

Okay, draw a right triangle. You know angle x and you know there's a 90 degree angle too.

so what is the third angle in terms of x?

Likes enter
enter said:
I don't understand, can you format this like:
hyp =
a =
b =
?

Use this diagram:

trigfunc.gif
Set the length of the hypotenuse, c = 1

sin θ = b then. What is a?

Likes enter and jedishrfu
jedishrfu said:
Okay, draw a right triangle. You know angle x and you know there's a 90 degree angle too.

so what is the third angle in terms of x?
90-x?

Ok, thank you!

1. How can I use trigonometric functions to find the sides of a triangle?

Trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent, can be used to find the missing sides of a triangle when given certain information, such as the lengths of other sides and angles.

2. What are the common trigonometric ratios used to find triangle measurements?

The most commonly used trigonometric ratios are sine, cosine, and tangent, which represent the ratios of the opposite side, adjacent side, and hypotenuse, respectively.

3. How do I use the Pythagorean theorem in conjunction with trigonometric functions to find a triangle's measurements?

The Pythagorean theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. This can be used in conjunction with trigonometric functions to find the missing sides of a triangle.

4. Can trigonometric functions be used to find angles in a triangle?

Yes, trigonometric functions can be used to find angles in a triangle when given the lengths of the sides. For example, the inverse trigonometric functions, such as arcsine, arccosine, and arctangent, can be used to find angles.

5. Are there any other applications of trigonometric functions in triangles?

Trigonometric functions have many other applications in triangles, such as finding the area of a triangle, determining the distance between two points in a triangle, and solving real-world problems involving triangles, such as navigation and engineering.